The new iPhone 15
LuckyLu602's profile

3 Messages

Sunday, August 13th, 2023 10:21 PM

Trying to unlock iPhone-AT&T denied-unpaid balance?

I got my iPhone 6 back in 2018 from my brother, who upgrades to the newest iPhone as soon as they come out. I had no problem inserting my Cricket SIM and continuing my cricket service because the phone wasn’t locked. I got a new iPhone in 2020 and haven’t used the iPhone 6 since then. When I tried giving that phone to my nephew who had Verizon service, as soon as he put in his SIM card, it wouldn’t work because the phone is locked. So I just did the unlock request on the AT&T website & got a denial due to “unpaid balance”, which there is NOT an unpaid balance. I saw online that this seems to happen to A LOT of people that do not have unpaid balances. If I was able to use this iPhone from 2018 to 2020 with Cricket service, why wouldn’t the phone still be unlocked? If my brother has an unpaid balance (which he doesn’t) now in 2023, would that iPhone become locked, even though it was unlocked back in 2018? I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 months ago

Your phone does not need to be unlocked to be used on Cricket since Cricket is owned by AT&T. Chances are that your phone was never unlocked. 

If  you feel that the phone is fully paid for, you can file a BBB complaint and someone higher up at AT&T will contact you.

3 Messages

8 months ago

Ah, I didn’t know AT&T owned Cricket. So that’s one question answered. Thank you for that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.