Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
V

• 

1 Message

Sun, Apr 18, 2021 4:29 AM

text messages

Can specific threads in text messaging be transferred from an old phone to a new one? I accidentally deleted my two most important ones on my current phone which I activated in Oct. 2020. All the messages up to that point are still in the old one. How would I get them to my new phone?

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

21 d ago

Put sim card back into old phone and then you can access everything on it again. That is provided you didn't delete them from that phone of course.

Swapping SIM is great way to get old info back as well as have a backup phone if something happens to the new one (or even to use if you go somewhere you don't want to take your new one).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49K Messages

21 d ago

@Juniper You don’t need to put the sim card back into the old phone to retrieve info from that phone unless you need cellular service to retrieve the info. 

@Valkyrie2021 There is no way to selectively transfer specific threads I know of. You would need to transfer everything the same way you did initially but that means you would lose any messages received since then. If you have a computer with iTunes, you could backup the old phone to iTunes and then extract the messages you want from that backup. There are pc programs that can extract info from backups. Another possibility is just send the messages from old phone to new phone as iMessages but that would be each individual message, I don’t believe you can send a thread.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

21 d ago

@sandblaster 

I've dealt with phones that if there was no SIM then you would be restricted to emergency calls only and could not access what was on the phone. And that is referring to data physically on the phone.

(edited)

dwill05

Master

• 

5.2K Messages

21 d ago

If there was no SIM, how could someone even make emergency calls?  Usually not being able to get into the phone and being limited to emergency calls is a sign of the screen being locked, not the presence of a SIM.  At least that’s how it is for an iPhone.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

21 d ago

The SIM authorizes your account with a particular provider. The phone still has a antenna for emergency calls. So the lock screen should have a message that says "Emergency Calls Only" even perhaps below where you put in your PIN (or other security measure).

If that is not allowed on your iPhone, then that is a horrible design choice in my opinion.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49K Messages

21 d ago

@Juniper Fair enough but since this was posted in the Apple forum, I presume the OP has an iPhone and that’s not the case with iPhones. So I’m curious, what phone have you dealt with that required a sim to access anything? I only have experience with iPhones but I’m not aware of any smartphone that requires a SIM card to retrieve or access information. Old, non smartphones maybe but no smartphone I’m aware of.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

21 d ago

Well for example some Android phones (like the original G1) required you to sign in to the phone to access anything on it (not just what it backs up). I would have to double check my other (non-Android) smart phones for which ones need a SIM to access what is on the phone. Have collected a few phones over the years since my original Nokia 2160i.

Get started...

Ask a new question