Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Feb 19, 2020 2:31 PM

Switching from Postpaid to Prepaid

I'd like to switch to a prepaid plan. I have paid off all of the phones. And, I am looking to have them all unlocked. But, I am concerned about using the phones outside of the US, Canada and Mexico. I understand that I may be able to use an unlocked iPhone with an AT&T prepaid plan if I purchase local sim cards. Is this correct? And, is this relatively easy to do while traveling? I've used the AT&T postpaid foreign travel features with good success. And, I don't want to make a mistake by switching to prepaid. Any advice would be great.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

a month ago

Please unlock all of your phones before you switch to prepaid. The AT&T unlock portal is a dumb computer system and will trigger the 6-month lock as soon as you switch over unless you unlock your phones prior to doing so

Once your phones are unlocked you can travel using local SIM cards wherever you go as long as your phone is compatible. Most phones sold for postpaid use are compatible with foreign carriers.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

Thank you! This is great info. I have started the unlocking process for 3 phones. And, they said it could take 48 hours. But, I had a problem with a 4th iPhone. It said that the IMEI number didn't match an AT&T device. I tried 3 or 4 times. This makes no sense as it is on the exact same AT&T plan. Any advice on this?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

a month ago

Yes, once your iPhone is unlocked, you will be able to use it with local SIM cards when you travel. The prepaid service, of course, won’t work outside the US, Canada and Mexico. How easy it is to get a local SIM card will depend on where you travel but often they are readily available at kiosks, convenience stores and vending machines.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

Thank you. Again, this is very helpful. I hate to ask for an "opinion", but you seem to know a ton about prepaid plans and foreign travel. Would you recommend prepaid over postpaid for 6 iphones? I also understand that I can convert some of my family iPhones to prepaid and leave some on postpaid. I know I'll save money with prepaid if I pay for a year in advance for each phone and I can get 8gb of data for each line. But, I'm wondering if there are other services for postpaid that make it better. Prepaid should cost me $150/year for 6 iPhones and postpaid will cost around $214 with taxes and fees.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

One of the disadvantages to prepaid is the lack of ability to use your own number while traveling outside of the United States. The flip side of that is you also do not incur massive charges for roaming.

Prepaid is cheaper for service, but you have to save your money if you need to purchase a new phone as you cannot use installments.

One of the disadvantages to prepaid is a reduced coverage area. Especially in the western states like Nevada Utah Colorado Wyoming, those states have very few AT&T towers and rely on Partner Towers, which do not work for prepaid customers

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

Unfortunately, you won’t be eligible for the pay for a year in advance if you keep your numbers. That is only for new lines. Moving an existing line from postpaid to prepaid does not qualify as a new line. I really have no recommendation on prepaid vs postpaid as I’ve never had prepaid service. I do know prepaid coverage is not as good as postpaid since prepaid does not have access to partner cell towers. How that impacts your coverage depends on where you live.

• 

5 Messages

@lizdance40 Thanks again! This site is great for getting real useable info.

• 

5 Messages

Thanks so much (again)! This is extremely helpful. With 6 family phones, I think I'll stick with postpaid in order to keep existing numbers and coverage. And, it will be less of a hassle when traveling.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

@bdriscoll56 youre welcome!

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…