Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Nov 27, 2018 6:04 AM

Spam text

I received a text from 746-118-88. The msg is below. 

AT&T Free Message: Your temporary PIN is (I erased the PIN)

This is spam right? How do I stop receiving these texts?

Responses

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Yes, this is exactly what happened to many AT&T customers. When I got the text with the temporary PIN, I knew it had to be a mistake since I did not initiate anything to request a PIN. I knew it had to be SPAM or PHISING or something else but I knew not to respond or do anything other than call AT&T to report it. 

I called AT&T and after 70 minutes of being transferred from one department to another, I finally got a hold of someone who was in the fraud department. This department knew exactly what I was talking about as they had been notified of the issue a day before and they told me that ALL the customer service reps within AT&T should have known this and should have told me what had happened. They told me that a system glitch within AT&T caused this PIN to be sent erroneously to my phone and that I should ignore it. The strange thing is that the PIN did actually come from AT&T though but it was a mistake on their part. Regardless, never respond or use these type of PINS if you did not initiate it. Always call AT&T to see if you account has been compromised and what other security steps you made need to take. 

In addition, if you EVER receive a suspicious text or SPAM or PHISING text, forward the text to AT&T's spam department by forwarding the ENTIRE text to 7726 (Just type 7726 into the 'to' field). Then, AT&T will respond to that text and ask you the phone number of the sender. Text them the phone number of the sender (if you can see it). This helps AT&T track and eliminate spam texting. Never click on any links in any spam or suspicious text, Even if it looks like it is from AT&T, don't click on the links as SCAMMERS mimic AT&T texts all the time. Never provide personal information or verifying information when asked by these type of texts. Always go online to a separate computer or device, and sign into your AT&T account using your known credentials to see if any of these 'alerts' are real OR just call AT&T and talk to a customer agent. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

I have received 8 of these annoying temporary pin texts since 5/17/19. Is there a way to block them? They come at random hours day and night. 

-LC

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I had to call AT&T and since I do not use text messages I had my phone blocked for texts. I had about a dozen texts in about one minute and when I called the number they were "from", the guy didn't know anything about it and seemed annoyed that I thought they were coming from him.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I have tried both changing my password and sending the message to fraud and I’m still

getting the spam text messages. What else can I do?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I’ve gotten like 7 messages in the past 3 days. I’ve called Att and they knew nothing of what I was talking about. I changed my password and I replied stop. Nothing works. 

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

My wife and I have been getting these as well, and discovered it's from the AT&T mobile security app. It was prompting for a pin. We have never had this happen before. And after requesting a pin directly from the app, the pin provided still did not work so we deleted the app. That's where I believe the messages are coming from. I don't see any benefit from the app anyway. Never solved any telemarketer issues. All it ever did was notify us of new software releases for the phone. 

I had called AT&T about these because we had someone in Texas at a Best Buy hack our account and upgrade all of our phones, even while i was online with their fraud dept. telling them we were being hacked. So it seemed like a similar attack. She told me these messages were fraudulent. Even they don't know what's going on and they have no security to stop an attack. But that's another story. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

You are correct. I never open this app but it is asking for a pin and none work. I just deleted it so fingers crossed!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Me too.  Several times to date 05-22-2019.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Deleting the security app from ATT has so far fixed it. 24 hours and no text messages so far.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

Thank YOU!!! As I have been getting message over and over again...with <#> AT&T Free Message with a pin number and no explanation. Ending with IOpMWSeQxt the last message. They all have started the same and ending with jumbled letters as above. Looking suspicious. Sent a copy as Spam and I was messaged to send STOP as the number was a code short cut number. Odd that many posts I have read that AT&T reps are clueless as to how to help. Glad to know its the AT&T Mobile Security App. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I too had a dozen or so texts from one number all within a minute. I called AT&T to have texts blocked since I never use them. When I called the number from which the texts came, the man was irked that I called him since he wasn't texting anyone at 3 in the morning.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Wow. I’m not alone. The texts I receive also end in IOpMWSEeQxt. I’m up to 12 of them now.

ATT PLEASE HELP!!

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

If you have the att web security app delete that. That’s what was causing it for me and problem solved since I deleted it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

Open up the at&t mobile security app and request a pin. I did and the same text number showed up with the pin for it. Once I used the pin, the app wanted me to agree to terms. I suspect the latest app update is the cause but at&t isn’t leaving it up to you to open the app to discover you need a pin sent but the text fails to let you know what it is for.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Ok. I’ll try that. Thank you!

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Get started...

Ask a new question