The new iPhone 15
StarrStarr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 6:04 AM

Is this text from AT&T Free Message a spam text?

I received a text from 746-118-88. The msg is below. 

AT&T Free Message: Your temporary PIN is (I erased the PIN)

This is spam right? How do I stop receiving these texts?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

@dwill005 - That makes sense to me. My wife and I each received identical texts yesterday, several hours apart, although with different temporary PINs. I assumed based on some other forum posts that this was spam, but it turns out the number 74611888 really is used by AT&T to send temporary PINs; this morning I downloaded the AT&T Call Protect iOS app and when I set it up, I had to enter a temporary PIN that was sent by text from that number. All of which begs the question of why my wife & I received those messages yesterday, and why other people are receiving them without doing anything to trigger generating a temporary PIN. It doesn’t make any sense as a phishing attempt - there isn’t any link included in the text, nothing to click on that would take the recipient to a phishing site. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This just happened to my husband and I at 457am this morning. Different PIN numbers and neither of us did anything to initiate it. Does anyone know???

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The text messages on my phone is all from the same number and charged at the rate of 10 cents each.  Also the same number says I have been approved to DONATE $70 . I did not donate anything from my prepaid account and do not feel I should be charged for the dozen or so text messages from this scam.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I received these two text msgs today. I never agreed to share anything with a third party. Does anyone know what this is?

AT&T Free Message: Notice: Mobile line 609284xxxx on your account has consented to share phone location or other subscriber, account, and device data with third parties. Please do not reply to this text. Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I've gotten 2 of these messages and my son is receiving them as well.  I've reported them as SPAM but AT&T replies "It is likely that your message came from a short code.  Please return to the original message and reply STOP. "  I've followed those instructions both times but I'm still getting the messages.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, this is exactly what happened to many AT&T customers. When I got the text with the temporary PIN, I knew it had to be a mistake since I did not initiate anything to request a PIN. I knew it had to be SPAM or PHISING or something else but I knew not to respond or do anything other than call AT&T to report it. 

I called AT&T and after 70 minutes of being transferred from one department to another, I finally got a hold of someone who was in the fraud department. This department knew exactly what I was talking about as they had been notified of the issue a day before and they told me that ALL the customer service reps within AT&T should have known this and should have told me what had happened. They told me that a system glitch within AT&T caused this PIN to be sent erroneously to my phone and that I should ignore it. The strange thing is that the PIN did actually come from AT&T though but it was a mistake on their part. Regardless, never respond or use these type of PINS if you did not initiate it. Always call AT&T to see if you account has been compromised and what other security steps you made need to take. 

In addition, if you EVER receive a suspicious text or SPAM or PHISING text, forward the text to AT&T's spam department by forwarding the ENTIRE text to 7726 (Just type 7726 into the 'to' field). Then, AT&T will respond to that text and ask you the phone number of the sender. Text them the phone number of the sender (if you can see it). This helps AT&T track and eliminate spam texting. Never click on any links in any spam or suspicious text, Even if it looks like it is from AT&T, don't click on the links as SCAMMERS mimic AT&T texts all the time. Never provide personal information or verifying information when asked by these type of texts. Always go online to a separate computer or device, and sign into your AT&T account using your known credentials to see if any of these 'alerts' are real OR just call AT&T and talk to a customer agent. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I have received 8 of these annoying temporary pin texts since 5/17/19. Is there a way to block them? They come at random hours day and night. 

-LC

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I had to call AT&T and since I do not use text messages I had my phone blocked for texts. I had about a dozen texts in about one minute and when I called the number they were "from", the guy didn't know anything about it and seemed annoyed that I thought they were coming from him.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I have tried both changing my password and sending the message to fraud and I’m still

getting the spam text messages. What else can I do?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I’ve gotten like 7 messages in the past 3 days. I’ve called Att and they knew nothing of what I was talking about. I changed my password and I replied stop. Nothing works. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.