The new iPhone 15
Ivancor's profile

3 Messages

Sunday, December 17th, 2023 8:12 AM

Someone sold me an iPhone that the owner later reported as stolen.

The guy told me that he had an iPhone that he could sell me.The guy told me that he had an iPhone that he could sell me.He told me that he left it cheaper for me Because it was used but literally new.

He also told me that he was free from the factory.

So I told him that it was okay that I bought it for him. He sold it to me for $800.

Now I can't put a phone plan on the phone I don't know what to do help please.. 

How can do?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

4 months ago

Unfortunately it sounds like you got scammed. Unless the "seller" will refund you then you are out the money.

That is the risk of buying a phone without any verification.

3 Messages

4 months ago

The guy blocked me from all sides.
Pero podrías ayudarme a desbloquearlo, digo que tengo como comprobar que me mintió y al fin y al cabo no estafa a AT&T también?

Osea si lo denuncia como robado no le dan otro?

¿Por ningún motivo aceptarías la solicitud de desbloqueo?

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

4 months ago

Did you pay with a credit card? If yes contest the charge.

First you do not know the phone was his to sell, if was he needed to unlock it before selling it to you.

Once reported as lost, it is an insurance claim, the insurance replaces the phone, the “missing” phone then belongs to the insurance company.

You could file a police report that you are in possession of stolen property… and report who sold you the equipment.

Receiving known stolen property in Wisconsin with a value under $2500 

Misdemeanor:

If the value of the stolen property received or concealed is $2,500 or less, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor.

• This is punishable by up to 9 months in jail and up to a $10,000 fine.

3 Messages

4 months ago

No, I paid in cash and the phone was his in the box his name and number appears that he used or uses I don't know, now he has a different number
I totally understand the scam but AT&T can't help me unlock it? Come on, you have a solution

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

4 months ago

Your asking ATT to commit fraud?

The phone as blocked reported stolen is not yours, it is the insurance company that covered the claim.

Strongly encourage you to file a police report against the individual, you do have a bill of sale showing who you purchased from with date and amount paid?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 months ago

@Ivancor  There is noting that AT&T can do because you were scammed. As mentioned by @my thoughts , if you've got the contact information of who sold you the phone then by all means file a police report and the phone is technically owned by the insurance company who paid for it. As far as they, and AT&T are concerned, the phone is dead to them.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

4 months ago

Guy got a phone and reported it stolen.

Then he sold to you to get even more money.

He blocked you on all sides as he has no interest in you now that his scam worked.

AT&T will not unlock a phone that is marked as stolen as it belongs to the insurance company.

You can file a police report. At the very least it creates a paper trail for that crook. Beyond that, time to get a new phone through a verified option as the other one is just an expensive paperweight.

Understand this is not the answer you were looking for. But this is the reality, no matter how harsh it seems.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.