Troubleshoot your device issues
alanegds's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jun 8, 2015 9:23 PM

SIM Not Valid: The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

I initially had a contract with AT&T for a 'post-paid' plan. I terminated the contract, paid the ETF (Early Termination Fee) and ported the number over to Cricket Wireless. The 'port' worked fine for about 4 months, which is to say that the (Cricket) SIM card worked when inserted into the iPhone 4S.

I recently switched over to Ting, and activated the SIM card. However, when I insert the Ting SIM card into the iPhone, I get this frustrating error message:

SIM Not Valid

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

I verified that the Ting SIM card works / is activated, by inserting it into another (Android) phone that I have.

I have received (3) unlock emails from AT&T asking that the phone be backed up, erased and then restored. However, after doing so about 5-7 times in a variety of ways, I have had no success. AT&T customer service / support has not been responsive, helpful or proactive in this case and I am at my wits end.

Any helpful feedback or suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated!

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

7 y ago

Ting runs off Sprints network and may not be compatible with your 3G iPhone. Did you run the IMEI through their phone checker?

To process the unlocking, have you followed these directions? ( per the link....)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Thank you; yes, I have checked compatibility with Ting's service and it was compatible.

Ting Compatibility verification.jpg

Yes, I have followed the instructions in the link; both with (tried out using the Cricket SIM and Ting SIM card, the latter needs a factory reset) and without a SIM card with no luck.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

7 y ago

Next stop is Apple, to verify that ATT has unlocked on their end.
If Apple can't verify your IMEI number is unlocked from ATT, the restore with iTunes won't work.

FYI. 2G means phone calls and not much else will work with Ting.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Thank you, Apple confirmed that the phone is still locked; what should I do next? 

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

7 y ago

On the unlock portal page is an 800 number, bottom of page. Call and let them know what is going on.

You've been out of contract for a long time, something tells me that may be part of the problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I have exact same issue with iPhone 6 Plus with H2O(AT&T) SIM card, but my phone is unlocked & my SIM is also activate, if i put the sim in iPhone 5  it works same don't realy know what the issue with iPhone 6 Plus & 6 S Plus.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

7 y ago

You haven't completed the unlock process  the iPhone. 

Verify with ATT and Apple that your phone is unlocked.

Using an active SIM card....

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier, follow these steps:
Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
Complete the setup process.

If you don't have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:
Back up your iPhone.
When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

If you see this error....

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."

Restore your iPhone to factory settings.
Contact your carrier to make sure that the unlock was applied in your carrier's system.
Restore your iPhone from a backup.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

Thanks lizdance40,

I have new SIM card from H20 and i activated that card its working with iPhone 5 but not with iPhone 6 & 6S Plus both phones are activated and payed in full. There are no locks on any of the phones.......i did factory reset using iTunes as instructed by Apple support but didn't work it still says "SIM NOT VAalid ....The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.....

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

7 y ago

Have you verified that the iPhone 6 is unlocked with Apple?  

To complete the unlocking you must complete the unlock procedure wit the iPhone 6.  It sounds like you did with the 5, but maybe not the iPhone 6?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I went to Apple store they said its locked by t-mobile and t-mobile says there is no lock from their side.....don't know who is right who is wrong i am stuck in the middle....t-mobile by the way has worst serivce & customer support; its absolutly ridicilous.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

I have the same issue SIM Not Valid. My iphone was a replacement of a damaged iphone and ATT said its unlocked and apple said verizon has a kind of lock in the iphone but the iphone has never been used on verizon.

Someone could succesfully resolve this?

Thanks in Advance!

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

6 y ago

@adrian_cam

the replacement phone has not been updated in ATT data base.  Send a message to @ATTMobilityCare explaining the replacement phone is locked, when the original phone was unlocked. Include the IMEI and account status (current, former or not a customer)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Hi @lizdance40 thanks for your reply i just sent a message to @ATTMobilityCare and i hope they can help me.

Thanks 🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

This problem is still going on and relatively unknown until people experience it. It appears to be an issue with iPhone 6/6s models that were offered as "Service Replacement" phones by Apple and assigned an "incorrect policy" from Apple's servers. (See below.) The error occurs when the Apple Server tries to validate the iPhone's IMEI number, there is a lack of synchronization between the databases of Verizon Wireless and Apple servers.

The phones will work with U.S. domestic carriers but not with international SIMs when the user receives a "SIM Not Valid" alert.

If the Apple customer support person you talk to is uninformed of this issue, what needs to be done is to escalate the case to a Level 2 Support Technician or a Senior Level Advisor who will agree to forward a request to the Apple's engineers who can fix it from their side. This is the only way to fix it by getting the "policy" corrected.

When properly identified, what Apple will tell you is that you have "a replacement device with an incorrect activation policy" (which takes 30 minutes to 24 hours for engineers to correct). Sometimes the iPhone needs to be restored after Apple makes the change to the policy for the phone, before it will work with an international sim.

Most people who have run into this issue get stuck in a loop where Apple tells them their phone is locked to AT&T or Verizon. (Yes, we all know Verizon can not legally lock phones.) AT&T or Verizon will accurately say the phone is not locked to their servers. The result is a frustrated phone owner. Unfortunately many find out only when they get overseas.

The SIM Free iPhone "appears" to be locked "internationally" when in reality it is an Apple server setting that essentially acts like an international lock. It can require quite a bit of patience to be nice and persistent with Apple Customer Service, and repeated calls/visits to find someone who is open to the idea, since it is an obscure problem relative to the number of total Apple customers, but a large problem for those in need of international phone use. "Service Replacement" iPhone 6/6s appear to be identified by model numbers starting with an "N".

Should someone plan to use the phone internationally, or want to get more value upon resale, it would be wise for anyone who has received a replacement SIM Free iPhone 6/6s to check their phone. This information is also good for future buyers of iPhone 6/6s who wish to use the phone internationally. There have already been cases where honest owners have sold their phone, not knowing it would not work overseas when the buyer has expectations of it working globally. Neither party is typically at fault, since the SIM Free 6/6s iPhones are promoted as unlocked to begin with.

When contacting Apple Support, it is strongly recommended to provide the AppleCare+ work order created during the "replacement" and the "order number". This will ensure that the "replacement phone" has the same "policy" as the original phone to ensure that all International SIM's will work. Receipts from your original phone prior to the replacement might help also.

The following information can be viewed with the aid of a reputable IMEI GSX (Global Service Exchange) checker for $1–2:

The policy for the phone to work domestically and internationally should read:
US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 = Fully Factory Unlocked for U.S. + Worldwide Use

As opposed to something like:

US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy = Unlocked Domestically / Locked Internationally

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Here is how you fix the problem SIM NOT VALID / ACTIVATION REQUIRED. Look up your phone's IMEI and enter it into one of these free websites that provide the service for free. I used this one but there are many of them........ http://www.checkesnfree.com

For your IMEI # on the iPhone it is: Settings-General-About

Just plug in the IMEI numbers into the website search and you find out what carrier your phone is locked to.

Then, call that carrier to confirm your phone/IMEI is locked to their network. Once that is documented, call the device maker (i.e. Apple) and ask why your device is locked. They may deny it and may tell you to contact your carrier. Many times the phone will be locked to a carrier other than the one you are currently using. (i.e. Tracfone)

You will then call your current cellular carrier and ask why you have a locked phone. If they say you don't have a locked phone, give them your IMEI. If all parties say they don't think you have a locked phone or don't know how to fix it, then you should fill out this short form at the FCC website. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Under the Field "Phone Issues" select "Equipment"

Under "Phone Method" select "Wireless"

The FCC requires that by law all parties listed in the complaint respond to you within 30 days and they DO!!!! Sometimes they sing a whole different tune!! otherwise there will be a FCC investigation and they don't want that. I suggest documenting everything just in case!

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.