The new iPhone 15
TheOneMA24n8's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 28th, 2023 11:20 PM

sim lock

my cell phone is being held ransom by AT&T after i have paid them over $6000 in fees and merchandise. now that i have found a provider that only costs $30 for Unlimited Data & Hotspot, they have my device locked which is preventing me to stay in contact with my family, hearing from potential employers, etc. This is preventing me from operating in the world after i purchased a device from them in excess of $1200. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 months ago

So why is AT&T refusing to unlock the phone?

We don't give two hoots how much you've paid AT&T. It's still has to meet AT&T's unlock requirements or per FCC agreement they are allowed to keep the phone locked.

The phone has to have active service for at least 60 days. All financial obligations have to be complete including phones and service.

We tell people again and again it's a lot easier to unlock your phone as an existing customer once your bill is paid and the phone is paid off then it is after you have canceled service.  

2 Messages

3 months ago

WARNING: For some reason, in communities like this people take excerpts personal and add an evil or negative spin for attention - However, for the people that read my post with the mind to think about a solution, here's the update: 

INITIAL COMPLAINT: Device paid off. Transferred service to CRICKET(subsidiary). Attempted to xsfr service to new provider and found that AT&T locked my SIM/holding my device ransom due to unresolved service charges.

MY RESPONSE:  Requested manager to no resolve; Requested executive office representative. Contacted multiple regulators and reported the matter.

MY POSITION:   It is UNETHICAL to prevent customers from obtaining more affordable phone service, especially if they own their device outright.

AT&T RESOLUTION: The CEO office contacted me and reduced the service charges minus the charges during the month that I transferred service. 

MY RESPONSE:  I resolved the service bill and transferred to a new provider for less than half of what I was paying through AT&T. 

Stay positive minded, speak positive things, always fight for what you believe is right; Whatever energy you put out in the world will come back to you!

-Anonymous

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 months ago

Did you know that an AT&T locked phone will work just fine on cricket?   In fact an AT&T carrier locked phone will work on any MVNO with an AT&T SIM card to offer. Including red pocket, net10, cricket, boost Mobile, and even straight talk because they all offer an AT&T SIM card.

So you went all through this for nothing.

As long as the phone was paid off it is not restricted to AT&T.

AT&T is enforcing its "unpaid device policy" which means a phone that is not paid off is not only not unlockable for use with a competing carrier, but is also restricted the account that is paying installments)

ACE - Master

• 

10K Messages

3 months ago

The unlocking requirements are listed on this page.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Do you meet them, yes or no?  That’s all that that matters.  Whether you feel they are unethical, unfair, isn’t really relevant, nor is the fact that you’ve spent so much money with AT&T, been a customer for years, etc.  The eligibility requirements are the same for everyone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.