Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The new iPhone 14
joenobodyyet's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Fri, Jun 9, 2017 11:36 PM

Should I buy a GoPhone or Walmart Straight Talk iphone and just use it with my AT&T plan?

I am currently on an AT&T group plan with 3 others.  I'm looking for a cheap iPhone to replace my iPhone 5c, so the iPhone SE makes sense. I can get it through AT&T or Best Buy, but I noticed that Walmart has an iPhone SE "Straight Talk" for cheaper. I've also seen "GoPhones" cheaper as well. Can I just buy one of those 2 and just take my sim card out of my iPhone 5c and put it in the new iPhone SE (Straight Talk or GoPhone) and it will work? Or do I need to get a phone that has monthly payments? I do NOT want to get off my plan, I'd like to continue, but just figured I'd see if these Straight Talk/GoPhones were the way to go. Thanks! 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

5 y مضت

@joenobodyyet GoPhone should work just fine on AT&T postpaid (regular) cellular.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y مضت

Is it as easy as buying the phone at Best Buy, and then taking my sim card from my iPhone 5c and putting it in the iPhone SE GoPhone? It will work without any extra fees/activation fees from AT&T?

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

5 y مضت

@joenobodyyet If the sims are the same size, you're fine.  You might need a new sim (free) from corporate store if it's not.

No activation cost.

Depending on how old your 5c sim is, you might need a new one to support WiFi calling (but no rush for that).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y مضت

Does anyone know about Walmart Straight Talk phones?  Would it work the same way? Just buy it and put in my old sim card? I checked and they should be the exact same size sim card. Would AT&T not even know that I'm using a new device?

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y مضت

DO NOT buy the Straight Talk version for use on AT&T. It will be SIM locked and you cannot use it on any other carrier. Get the AT&T version if you want assurances it'll work on AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

5 y مضت

You cannot use the straight took phone on another carrier until you complete a minimum service obligation.  Same with ATT Gophones.  They are not unlocked for other carriers.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y مضت

I have AT&T so as long as the phone is AT&T, I should be good right? Best Buy has an AT&T GoPhone. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y مضت

I am currently eligible for an upgrade by AT&T. Would buying a phone at Target and just putting my SIM card in and using it mess with my upgrade status?

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y مضت

Won't change your upgrade status at all. You can buy any AT&T GoPhone branded device and use it on your line as you wish. It won't change anything about upgrade status.

Need help?
The new iPhone 14
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.