The new iPhone 14
Ibeezerd's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, May 26th, 2014 7:42 PM

Selling Iphone 4s Steps?

Hello:

I am sure this has been covered, but besides removing the sim card and completley erasing the phone, is there any other steps I need to take before handing the phone over to someone else?  Thanks.

youngjm

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

9 years ago

you should be good.  If you have ATT activate a new phone using the phone number that was assigned to the SIM, you don't need to remove it as once a sim has been deactivated, it cannot be re-activated.

Settings>General>reset>Erase all Content and Settings

MAKE SURE YOU DEACTIVATE "FIND MY IPHONE" UNDER ICLOUD!!!  If you don't do this, the person will not be able to activate it under their account.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Ibeezerd wrote:

Hello:

I am sure this has been covered, but besides removing the sim card and completley erasing the phone, is there any other steps I need to take before handing the phone over to someone else?  Thanks.

If you have iOS 7 or newer, please remember to disable "Find My iPhone" and also to remove the device from your AppleID's profile of devices, otherwise the person who buys it from you will not be able to activate it without your AppleID and password.

Now, to perform teh "Erase All..." process, you should have to disable the Find My iPhone feature, but you still need to remove teh device from your profile too...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@Ibeezerd wrote:

Hello:

and also to remove the device from your AppleID's profile of devices,

good to know

jane697

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

9 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

you should be good.  If you have ATT activate a new phone using the phone number that was assigned to the SIM, you don't need to remove it as once a sim has been deactivated, it cannot be re-activated.

Settings>General>reset>Erase all Content and Settings

MAKE SURE YOU DEACTIVATE "FIND MY IPHONE" UNDER ICLOUD!!!  If you don't do this, the person will not be able to activate it under their account.

Although probably not applicable in the OP's case...this is more of a general FYI for those folks contemplating on selling a jailbroken iPhone--do not under any circumstances perform an "Erase all Content and Settings" on such a phone or else your phone may/will be stuck in a continuous boot loop for which the only ways to break out of it are to wait for the battery to completely drain...or if you can't wait--either remove the battery yourself (not an absolutely easy task, especially if you're not familiar with taking apart an iPhone) or pay someone else to remove it.  The alternative to "Erase all content" on a jailbroken iPhone is to perform a "Restore as new" via iTunes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.