Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
P

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Jul 4, 2020 10:36 PM

Question about old device unlock.

Hello.

Recently I have received an old broken iPhone 4 from a family member and after fixing it I wanted to try using it, but apparently it has a simlock. Turns out it's actually locked to US AT&T Puerto Rico. The phone actually has traveled a long way being passed on from a family member to a family member over the years and now it's currently in Poland.

I've checked out the unlock device section, but even after selecting that I'm not a AT&T customer it still asks for a valid phone number, which I'm not able to provide since I live in Poland.

I've also tried to find some kind of way to contact support but was also unable to find anything else than a phone number (again - I am not in the US, so that won't work), was hoping for an email address or something. The chat bot was also not helpful, asked for human help and it asked me to login to my AT&T account, which I am unable to create since I'm from Poland.

Would it be possible for me to request an unlock for this very old device?

Responses

dwill05

Master

• 

3.9K Messages

a month ago

It’s very unlikely that AT&T still has the IMEI from a phone as old as an iPhone 4 in the system, so the online unlocking portal isn’t going to work.  Chat only works for AT&T account holders.  There is no email address you can use to contact support.  The only possible way is to call and talk to them, but even that may not work.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

a month ago

Apple is no longer supporting the iPhone 4.   It can't be unlocked.  It's only good over wifi now. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

It's not usable over wifi because it's asking for an AT&T US SIM card to unlock it, can't get past the sim card screen. Is my only option really the unspeakable? I don't even have a way to ask the question to AT&T...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

It doesn’t matter what SIM card, all it does is allow you to activate.  You can still connect and set up with Wifi, you just can’t use it with cellular.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

That is incorrect. When I turn it on it asks for a SIM card, then when I put in any SIM card it just says that SIM is unsupported and can't do anything past that. So the phone is basically a brick that I can turn on and off.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

I've never had that happen.    Odd.  

Get started...

Ask a new question