The new iPhone 15
See_ef_clay's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, January 29th, 2019 6:14 PM

Purchased used Iphone XR- now blacklisted

Two questions:  How do I prevent buying a blacklisted phone, or one that will be the future.  It wasn't when I purchased it (I am using it on cricket).   Now that I'm told I have a blacklisted AT&T phone, if/when it does become inoperable- will AT&T help me in anyway?

I recently found it this was blacklisted because I purchased another phone that I found was locked to a carrier.  Learning a lot of lessons over here....

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

Don't buy phones from any venue that doesn't offer recourse for problems of this type.

Stores have return policies and eBay has a resolution center, but if you just buy off Craigslist or off a random individual, your only option is to find the seller and sue them. I doubt AT&T can help you since it isn't their fault.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I just realize I didn't fully ask the second question I don't think. How do you avoid this issue entirely.  Even if you buy from an online store; you are still tied up in the resolutions/return policy... and unless you have a backup- without a phone.

I think the industry wants to "title" a phone similar to a car it would seem

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

5 years ago

Buy a phone from someone you’ve known a long time, and know you’ll be able to contact after the purchase if there is a problem.  If you buy from some rando off of Craigslist, or other place that has no buyer protection, you always run the risk that someone can claim the phone lost or stolen and get it blacklisted.  There is no way to predict that beforehand.  If the phone is blacklisted, AT&T won’t help the buyer.  Only the person who put the phone on the blacklist can have it removed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.