Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
TimothyT's profile
TimothyT
Crowd Pleaser 2
Supersonic 25!
#1 Star!

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

Wed, Nov 26, 2014 6:18 PM

Proof that AT&T chooses not to fulfill iPhone orders to existing customers

I'm sick of reading online stories of non Premier customers getting phones that ordered after me.  I'm sick of reading online how existing customers are being delayed by AT&T so that new customers can get on the AT&T contracts.  I mean, we're paying anyway, why would AT&T care about us!  Get those new customers and get them with new phones!

So, to test this I positioned myself on AT&T's website as somoene looking to get a new phone and new line (key part right?) for my wife.

Asked about the exact phone that I placed an order for on 9/20.  6+ 128GB, SG.  Me - I'm told it's backordered.  I'm told expected shipdate now is 12/12-19 (LOLOL  YEAH RIGHT).  Realisitically, I'll be lucky if I see this phone before the iPhone 6s comes out.  

But, what if I was a new customer.  A customer AT&T already isn't getting money from?

Let's see what happens.

IM Exchange

Well, as you can plainly see.  When a NEW customer that doesn't already have an AT&T contract, amazingly enough - AT&T HAS THESE PHONES IN STOCK and will put one in my cart and ship to me!  Existing customer - Sorry, no phone for you loser.  

So the facts are this:

1.  If you already have a contract with AT&T, they will NOT ship you phones that are in high demand.  

2.  If you don't have a contract with AT&T, they WILL ship you phones that are in high demand.

3.  AT&T telling me they don't have 6+ 128GB SG in stock is a lie.

Unfortunately, I have no recourse to buy from Apple or elsewhere, as I am a Premier customer and am forced into buying from AT&T.  

If you aren't forced to buy from AT&T and you are already on contract, CANCEL YOUR ORDER AND GO ANYWHERE ELSE.  AT&T doesn't care about you - they already have their money and this exchange proves it.  

Cancel, go to Apple, get your phone.  You'll still get it before me.  And, if you can, switch carriers.  Do not give your money to a company that treats their existing customers like garbage.  

1 Attachment

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

unreal!! I'm waiting like you for the past 6 weeks. I should have ordered through apple. Very displeased with this situation. I have a friend (with Sprint) that ordered her phone Sunday evening and received it today in 8 inches of snow.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Great post! i am going to Apple and get my long-awaited iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Gray. No more of this for me.

dwill05

Master

• 

4.9K Messages

6 years ago

This isn't a real surprise. It's pretty much the same as they having stock in stores for people to walk in and buy while a ton of people are still waiting for their ordered phones. Apple does that too, but it's easier to cancel and order from Apple. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the other cell phone companies do the same thing you are complaining about. They all are more interested in getting new customers that keeping old ones because once they have you, you're more likely than not to stay. It doesn't surprise me that they might have order stock reserved for new customers.

I'm a Premier customer and I've bought through Apple before with no issues, but your situation may be be different. No one is forced to buy the newest iPhone as soon as it comes out, or an iPhone at all.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Do you think the news media would like your story. I know AT&T wouldn't it would be really bad for future business.
GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

The only thing I see from the messges exchanged is just a confirmation of what has been stated on these forums before.  The Premier division of AT&T has its own order queue and its own supply of iPhones which is separate from the retail division.  Since the Premier division handles large corporate accounts and you fall into that cateory because you chose to take advantacge of the emploee discount your company's contract with AT&T offers.  I also am a Premier customer, and I know that working with them can be a royal Pain because they assume all customers are large companies.  They only have support on staff from 9:00-5:00 on weekdays, and they seem to expect that orders are placed a couple months in advance of when the product is expected to be shipped.  Knowing what it's like to work with Premier, I have never pre-ordered a phone from AT&T just because I don't like dealing with Premier.  for my last 3 iPhones, I've either ordered through Apple, or I walked into a store when they had stock available and purchased my phone just because I have seen how well the "separate division" philosophy has worked on previous launches.

You aren't treated like a second class customer just because you are already a customer, it is more so because you are a Premier customer.  Keep in mind that Premier customers fall under the control of the large corporate contracts that your employer has with AT&T. 

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

TimothyT

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

6 years ago

So, your point is that I'm being treated like garbage.  Just not solely for the reason I stated?

Well, I feel MUCH better know. 

Silly me, here I was focusing on the fact that I'm being treated like garbage at all.  

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

My point was that you are being treated like a large corporation would be treated because you enjoy the "benefits" of your company's contract with AT&T. You may consider the treatment "like garbage" but large proporations have different expectations than individuals. One of the "benefits" of getting your employer's discount is that you get the same treatment as your company does, whether you consider that good or bad is up to you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Today is week 10 for me, same phone and specs, ordered on 09/22.  Called Premier support and spent literally 2 hours on the phone and hold for a supervisor who quickly transferred me to Customer Retention Dept to close my account since the supervisor wanted nothing to do with me, and they couldn't help because their systems were down with no supervisor available to talk to, so they hung up on me.  I called back and was on hold for another supervisor in Premier and hung up on again while be transferred.  Third call, again to Premier support, and they told me I should cancel my order and go to Apple to make my purchase.  After 10 weeks of this, I am done.  Going to a store in person on Saturday to personal and business accounts.  Filing a compliant with BBB today.  Beware of this company.

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

6 years ago

Absolutely true! This is the way how they do business. Unfortunately, AT&T has enough customers that they don't need to serve the existing customers and they will still be in business. 

Get started...

Ask a new question