The new iPhone 15
Amgblanc1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 13th, 2018 4:21 AM

Previous owner of phone number

I own a (iPhone 7) and keep receiving phone calls and text messages for the previous owner of my phone number every day. I have the name of the previous owner through the messages I keep receive. I’ve been blocking these callers but they keep contacting me through different numbers. Is there anyway stop this completely?

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

I know how upsetting and aggrevating getting collection calls from the previous owner of your cell number can be.  One of my lines had this same issue and blocking did absolutely no good, the more we told them we just got this number, the more they called.  Unfortunately, the phone company can’t do anything about it, this same issue happens with landlines too.

The only resolution is to change the number, which can be done on your AT&T account, or call customer support.  If it’s been less than 30 days since activation, there is no charge; after 30 days there is a fee.  I hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I contacted AT&T. They told me the 'cleaned' the # before giving it to me. I called back a 2nd time and they said they 'cleaned' the # again... Same problem... but NOW his

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@JBsiphone wrote:

I contacted AT&T. They told me the 'cleaned' the # before giving it to me. I called back a 2nd time and they said they 'cleaned' the # again... Same problem... but NOW his

This makes no sense, everyone and every company who already has that number for the previous user is going to still have it. No way to "clean" that up.

They can remove it from some online phone books to prevent new callers, but that doesn't stop everyone else who has it.

ACE - Master

• 

10K Messages

5 years ago

You need to get a new phone number, period.  When you dial a number, it goes to that phone number.  There is no way for AT&T, or any phone system, to know whether a phone call to a certain number is intended for you, or the person who originally had the number.  Not sure what “cleaning” AT&T can do other than making sure that the previous owners’ account information is divorced from the number, but that does nothing to stop calls to that number from going through to whoever has that phone number currently.

1 Message

3 months ago

Does AT&T keep a log of all persons who had a phone number?  A previous owner of my number (which I've had for 10 years) continues to put it on credit applications, store registrations, etc.  I get calls and texts from her bill collectors.  She denies she had the number before.  I would like to know if she is being truthful.

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

3 months ago

People can call any phone number. Doesn't matter how many people who have had it over the years.

When somebody dials a number, how could AT&T possibly know what they are thinking and who they are going to call? Answer is they don't. So there is absolutely no possible way that AT&T or any other provider can sort out calls that are intended just for you.

Changing phone number is not an ideal solution. There is no guarantee this wouldn't happen all over again. Best thing that can be done is ride it out as eventually most people will understand the owner of the number has changed. For businesses, request they stop calling as they have a wrong number.

It is concerning that you have been in contact with the previous owner of the number. Unless you already personally knew them and were on a shared account or something.

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 months ago

Doesn't matter whether or not she's being truthful.  It sounds like you know who she is or how to get in touch with her? Start passing her new information out every time you get a collector call.

😈

You can look your phone number up in White pages. Just Google it and see if someone else's name comes up. Then contact them and let them know that the number is incorrect.  I did that with my primary number because it was reported in the White pages as belonging to a woman two towns over who owned a piece of property and people kept trying to buy it. I kept telling him I don't own it.  That number has been mine for 30 years. Never belonged to anyone else.

I have a second number 9/ 10 and I'm still getting calls for someone I refer to as deadbeat Connie.   The only reason I know her name is because the people used to call and announce that They were calling for Connie  ******* . They called about dental appointments, car loans, credit cards, she even had people from church calling her.   The first two years were the worst. I now very rarely get a call for her.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.