The new iPhone 15
Bonsai Doug's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 16th, 2010 3:20 PM

PC / iphone 4 transfer software?

I'm looking for some software (free or not) to transfer ringtones, wallpaper, photos, etc. between my PC and my iPhone 4.

I'm aware if iTunes, but that seems awfully bloated for the simple things I'd like to do.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

13 years ago

To develop iPhone wallpaper, you can do the following on iTunes:

• Open "My Documents" and "My Pictures"
  • Create a new folder labeled "Wallpaper"
  • Save a bunch of pictures within "Wallpaper". You can also do "iPhone 4 wallpaper" search on Google.
  • Open iTunes, plug in the iDevice
  • Click on your iDevice from the left pane to pull up the summary
  • Click on "Pictures" on the top tabs
  • Sync to "My Pictures" and "Include Videos" if you are doing video rolls
  • Apply
  • Your iDevice will optimize your wallpaper photos.

There are plenty of Ringtone developers online. Some of which are free. They can export an mp3 or wav file to m4r format. You can also search "iPhone ringtones" for related iPhone compatible ringtones.

Scholar

• 

303 Messages

13 years ago

Not sure why think think iTunes is boated but it works really well and is what you should use.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

iTunes is free and does exactly what you want.

It's also the only way to update the iOS on your iPhone.

I am not aware of any other software programs that will allow you to transfer music or ringtones to the iPhone as the iPhone does not support disk mode.

Maybe if the device is jailbroken, but then we cannot really discuss that here.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

13 years ago

@satchev wrote:

iTunes is free and does exactly what you want.

It's also the only way to update the iOS on your iPhone.

I am not aware of any other software programs that will allow you to transfer music or ringtones to the iPhone as the iPhone does not support disk mode.

Maybe if the device is jailbroken, but then we cannot really discuss that here.

Just a quick comment from a newbie: I despise iTunes!!  I suppose if a person uses it for months and finally gets the hang of it, it will be OK.  But for the uninitiated, it can be dangerous.

I synched my iPhone 4 to iTunes today for the first time and lost all my apps, screwed up my desktop, and couldn't find my one-and-only backup.  And all I did was try to synch some photos from a Windows folder to the iPhone.  Note: it seems when you hit any synch button in iTunes, it synchs EVERYTHING, and not only what you are working on.

Plus, you cannot export the iPhone's Camera Roll photos to a PC (without some rocket science).  Plus, iTunes synchs everything (it seems) immediately when you plug in the phone.  I'd like to determine my own synching, thank you.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant!!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

13 years ago

@EWynett wrote:

Plus, you cannot export the iPhone's Camera Roll photos to a PC (without some rocket science).  Plus, iTunes synchs everything (it seems) immediately when you plug in the phone.  I'd like to determine my own synching, thank you.

Actually, exporting the iphone's camera roll photos does not require itunes. You can do that thru windows explorer or just about any picture software with an import function (like picasa). Also, the automatic sync when you plug in your phone is a setting. You can easily turn it off and control what you want to sync when you hit the sync button.

Scholar

• 

297 Messages

13 years ago

You'll have to excuse the Apple fanboys who think iTiunes is wonderful..

Actually, iTunes is "fat-ware" that locks you into Apple's way. Not only does the user interface suck, it wants to control your every move.

Google iTunes alternatives and you'll get some ideas.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

iTunes is good enough!Smiley HappyBut there is a software called Cucusoft iPhone Tool Kits, it can easily backup and transfer iPhone songs, videos, photos, SMS, call list, contacts and books (you purchased via iBook Store) to computer. And even enable your iPhone as a removable hard disk.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@wireless-user wrote:

You'll have to excuse the Apple fanboys who think iTiunes is wonderful..

Actually, iTunes is "fat-ware" that locks you into Apple's way. Not only does the user interface suck, it wants to control your every move.

Google iTunes alternatives and you'll get some ideas.

It's not so much being a fanboy, as understanding that iTunes is free and does exactly what you need.  I am aware of no other software program that will allow you to backup your iDevice and install software updates.  For those 2 reasons, anyone that owns an iDevice should utilize iTunes.  If you do not want to use it regularly, that is fine, but I believe that you should regularly back up your device in the event of catastrophie.  iTunes is the only way to back them up, unless someone can show me an alternative that does not require jailbreaking.

iTunes, is extremely bloated, I hate the 70+mb downloads everytime Apple updates something, but there are ways around that.

For me, if I'm going to deal with iTunes for the backup and iOS updates, I might as well just let it handle everything.  Everyone is differnt, you might have a different solution or may not care about backups and iOS updates. 

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@EWynett wrote:

Just a quick comment from a newbie: I despise iTunes!!  I suppose if a person uses it for months and finally gets the hang of it, it will be OK.  But for the uninitiated, it can be dangerous.

I synched my iPhone 4 to iTunes today for the first time and lost all my apps, screwed up my desktop, and couldn't find my one-and-only backup.  And all I did was try to synch some photos from a Windows folder to the iPhone.  Note: it seems when you hit any synch button in iTunes, it synchs EVERYTHING, and not only what you are working on.

iTunes does not affect anything on your computer desktop, I'm not sure what you really mean by that comment.

If this was the first time you synced up your iDevice, you did not have a backup, so there is nothing to find.  iTunes does create a backup when you sync, there is only one... it simply updates the backup as it goes.  More information about backups can be found here.

Yes, when you sync your device it syncs everything, that is just logical.  You can control what actually syncs from within iTunes, but there is only one sync button.

Honestly, it sounds more like an issue of you not fully understanding what is going on, maybe the issue (for yourself) is that you simply need someone to explain it to you, or read some documentation.

All of the issues you mentiioned, to me, are indicative of a lack of understanding of what it going on.  That's not a slam at you.

@EWynett wrote:

Plus, you cannot export the iPhone's Camera Roll photos to a PC (without some rocket science). 

Well, it certainly isn't rocket science to pull pictures and vids off the camera roll.  If you are using windows, when you connect the device, a window pops up asking you what you want to do.  Select file explorer, then navigate to the device, select the pictures and drag them off to whatever folder you want.  That's about as simple as it gets.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.