The new iPhone 15
baobaoblacksheep's profile

1 Message

Monday, March 4th, 2024 4:51 PM

Old phone number sends texts to my contacts

Hello everyone,

I recently unsubscribed from my AT&T wireless plan and gave up my number because I have permanently moved to a different country. I think my old AT&T number is now already being used by another person in the States. However, the bad news is that I have been getting reports from several friends and contacts that a person using my old AT&T number is texting them. I myself also received a text from the old number. I have no idea how they gained access to my contacts. I use an iPhone, and ever since this happened to some friends, I have changed the phone number on all my social media and text messaging accounts to my new phone number, disconnected my Gmail and iCloud accounts from my contacts, deleted all my saved passwords, and have also changed all the passwords to most of my social media accounts. I also broadcasted to all my contacts to block and delete my old number. I wanted to email AT&T, but I noticed that they have no customer support email, and I also can't call them due to my international phone number.

Does anyone know if AT&T can help disconnect all accounts connected to my number, or at least have access to all accounts connected? And are there any other measures I should take to prevent this from happening again? I am so terrified of getting hacked or experiencing a privacy breach.

Thank you in advance everyone :)

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

1 month ago

The only thing AT&T would possibly have done is reassign your given-up phone number to someone else, so it’s now their number.  That’s it.  They never had your contacts or anything to do with iCloud, which is all Apple.  If your number was reassigned to someone else, the only AT&T account associated with your number is the new one with no linkage to your old account.  Either your iCloud was compromised, or spammers/scammers got ahold of your old number and are spoofing it.

I don’t think there is anything AT&T can do for you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.