Cyber Monday Deals: Get the Samsung Galaxy S21 FREE with no trade-in required!
What is happening with 3G?
Morac's profile
Morac
Supersonic 25!
#1 Star!
Celestial 50!

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

Tue, Aug 16, 2016 5:11 AM

Numbersync stopped working today

i read a post on another forum where someone stated that Numbersync stopped working on his Mac and iPad today and asked how to fix it.   I someone responded that rebooting usually fixes it and if not that toggling it off and on does.  He responded it still didn't work.

i tested my own iPad and Numbersync isn't working for me either.  I last used it this past Friday (3 days ago) and it worked.  I tried the same things: rebooting and toggling Wifi calling off and on and still it doesn't work.  I can see my iPad making a connection to AT&T's servers on port 5061 (either an IPv6 starting with 2001:1890 or IPv4 address starting with 12.194) which remains connected for a little while before dropping. 

Since it's affecting multiple people it seems to be something on AT&T's side.

Wifi calling on my iPhone works, but not Numbersync calling. 

Any ideas on getting Numbersync working again?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

I am having exactly the same problem, starting about a day or two ago. Same symptoms. WiFi calling works. Calling through other devices using Apple Continuity (meaning the iPhone is involved and needs to be on and nearby) works. But pure Number Sync calling (direct through computer or iPad when iPhone is off, in Airplane mode, or not nearby) does not work.

Disabling this feature on all connected devices, turning them all off, disabling WiFi Calling and Calling on Other Devices in the iPhone's Settings>Phone area, rebooting the iPhone, turning WiFi Calling and Calling on Other Devices back on, then restarting all connected devices and re-enabling the feature does NOT help.

Also, since Number Sync started, I find that I often have to re-enable this feature on one or more devices when it is not working, but prior to the last day or two, I have always been able to get it working again. It's never been terribly reliable. Maybe AT&T is rolling out some updates to improve reliability.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I use Numbersync from my mac almost 8 hours 5 days a week. It stopped working this week and its turning out to be a big nuisance now that I use it exclusively for my calls. Could someone from AT&T please chime in as to what is going on and when they expect it to start working again. 

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

I tried contacting AT&T's tech support number and after troubleshooting for over an hour, including completing removing Numbersync from my account (deleted "SOC codes") and adding it back on as if it was a brand new line, it still doesn't work.   

At thaf point the person transferred me to Apple support who had no clue what Numbersync even was.  I called back AT&T and they supposedly opened a ticket, but I haven't heard back.

The person did suggest if you are having a problem to call in since they have nothing internally indicating there's a problem.  If many people call in, it may get their attention.  The number is 800-331-0500.  

Good luck since it seems to depend on who you get how the call goes. 

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

Still not working this morning.  I've tried two other WiFi networks and in all cases my iPad connects to AT&T's NumberSync server, but NumberSync doesn't work.  My iPad still requires my iPhone to make and receive calls.

On another forum I got a three response from other people.  Two said NumberSync stopped working and one (with AT&T as his ISP) says it still works.

Can we get some kind of response from AT&T?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

AT&T Customer Care said they definitely see the problem listed as active in their database. No resolution date yet, though.

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

That's odd.  When I spoke to AT&T level 2 support tonight I was told there was nothing open about it, so I opened a case. 

That said I got a response on Reddit saying it's a known issue being worked on, assuming the post is legit.   Still not sure why some are affected and other aren't.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/4ycool/numbersync_stopped_working_monday/d6naa99

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

I spoke to level 3 support and was told there is nothing in the system about known issues with Numbersync.  He also claimed having purchase blocker on my account would cause Numbersync to not work so he removed it.  "Surprisingly" that didn't do anything. 

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

lindacuster,

Did this ever start working for you?  

I'm still having issues even after dealing with level 3 support, who seems to know less than lower levels of support. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Still not working for me, despite disabling on Mac and iPad, disabling each device and connected calling and WiFi calling on iPhone, completely shutting down every device and rebooting, and then re-enabling. WiFi calling on iPhone works like a charm, but calls from connected devices still *MUST* have the iPhone on and connected -- even though devices say "use your carrier account" rather than "use iPhone."

Tried this all on Friday, and again this morning.

I wish AT&T and Apple would train their support staffs, or at least clearly funnel requests like this to a carefully selected, trained group. Why introduce something as helpful (to me) as NumberSync and then have so few people (anyone?) trained on it.

I walked into a T-Mobile store last weekend, asking if they had the equivalent. While the first representative didn't immediately know (that's fine!), she typed it into their terminal (probably going to a specific web page for store support), and in about two minutes she was clear that they DID have it, and showed a colleague's iPad showing the "...using your cellular

account" text in Settings>FaceTime>Calls from iPhone.

I suspect this is very much AT&T's problem because Apple's iCloud servers give me all the registration prompts (on Mac and iPad about WiFi calling now being available if i enable it on the phone, prompting for emergency address, etc.), and seem to set everything up. It's just that when I try to MAKE a call from a connected device, it reverts back to using the iPhone.

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

There a thread over at MacRumors with a few other people having problems (but many not having problems too), so it seems to be account specific.  One person said he ended up having his iPad replaced for another reason and set it up as new and it wouldn't use NumberSync either.  

It's very frustrating because apparently no one knows how to fix this problem.  I actually had a level 3 AT&T support agent, supposedly the highest tier, tell me turning off handoff would fix the problem by supposedly disabling the iPhone continuity.  It doesn't and it didn't.  He then claimed purchase block (prevents third party companies from billing your phone) is incompatible with Numbersync, which it isn't since I've had both enabled and working for 8 months.  Really they don't have a clue. 

Something must have changed something last Monday (8/15), but who knows what they did.  It's not helpful that the iPad doesn't say why it's not using Numbersync.  It just continues to use the phone, if available.  What's odder is the option on my iPad to call on iPhone is still there even if I turn off calling on other devices on my iPhone.  It doesn't actually work as it reports the feature is disabled on my iPhone, but it still gives me the option.  That makes me think that that is the default until something comes on from AT&T saying otherwise. 

More annoying is that I'm completely ignored when I mention other people started having the same problem on the same day.  They still treat it as a problem with my device or account set up. 

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

I spoke to level 3 support and again this agent infuriated me by telling me that my iPad Air 2 isn't supported because I don't have a AT&T cellular data plan on it. I told him that's not true, but he told me that's what his manager said.  At that point he refused to help me with my "unsupported" device.  I tried calling back and got the same guy again.

You have to hear this to believe it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sge8ukeb98k4y2/AT%26T%20Lies.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjzzwp4ialoa7ih/AT%26T%20Lies%202.m4a?dl=0

At thiat point I figured I had nothing else to lose so I did a restore of my iPad and set it up as new.  I tried to activate WiFi calling on it and it got stuck in "activating WiFi" for a very long time before finally activating without prompting me for a PIN.  It would always prompt me for a pin every time when I tried turning it off an on before restoring.  In any case, of course it still didn't work.

I then decided to toggle it off and on again and this time it wouldn't activate saying I needed to contact my carrier to enable Wifi calling (a message I've seen at times on my iPhone despite WiFi calling working there).  I tapped enable WiFi a few times and eventually it activated.  Again there was no pin prompt and it didn't work.

At this point I'm 100% convince it's an AT&T problem since when I activate it I see a request go out to https://sentitlement2.mobile.att.net and then my iPad activates.  

Since AT&T says they only support devices with AT&T cellular data accounts, there's nothing I can do. 

Morac

Mentor

• 

79 Messages

5 y ago

I ended up restoring and setting up as new which didn't help and for some reason removed the requirement to have to enter a pin during setup.  I then restored from a backup, which also didn't help and the pin step was still missing.  I resigned myself to having it permanently broken when it started working. 

I don't know how or why, but it's working on my iPad now.

The only thing I did differently was basically disable calling on other devices on my iPhone and then power off my iPhone and iPad for about 20 minutes. I then powered both them on and used my iPad for about 10 minutes and then enabled calling on other devices on my iPhone and enabled wifi calling on other devices. When the prompt came up on my iPad I chose enable. After that I made a test call and it said "start a phone call" instead of "start a call on iPhone". I also tested incoming calls and they worked to.

One difference I noticed (besides the lack of a pin code) was that the IP address my iPad connected to was different than the one it's been trying to use lately. It's the one it used to use back when it worked. Maybe certain servers are broken?

I'm sure it won't last, but for now it's working.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

It's back up and working now for me too. I tested it about an hour before your last post and it wasn't working, but this morning, it is. I didn't do anything special. Just re-enabled (as I have done several times a day for the last week or so), but this time it works. They must have fixed something yesterday evening.

Thanks, Morac, for your reports and help.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

Careful before rejoicing too much. Are you able to receive as well as place calls? Does FaceTime on your Mac & iPad show that you phone number is still "verifying" or is it showing as verified? In my case, I can make calls on my iPad but not receive them from calls to my iPhone yet. I'll have to check my Mac when I get home to see there. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

I can make and receive calls. Works to iPad and Mac, with phone completely shut down or in airplane mode with no cell, bluetooth, or wifi connection. True NumberSync.

Just like before the problem. The problem lasted from about Monday or Tuesday last week until either late last night or this morning, when the phone had to be on and connected to work (through Apple Continuity rather than AT&T NumberSync).

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.