Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
lukehejl's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Dec 26, 2018 4:44 PM

NumberSync issue? Cant use wifi calling on my new series 4 Apple Watch

Hello. I got a new Series 4 Apple Watch. I spent 5 hours on the phone yesterday with both ATT support and Apple support trying to figure out how to get the wifi calling feature to work. I need this feature because cell service at my house (silly, my house is very close to downtown Fort Worth) is poor, so I heavily rely on wifi to fill the gaps. I researched heavily before calling support and I know it SHOULD work. When I first set up the watch, I did get a message that said something like "you have reached the limit of devices for wifi calling" -- but when I look at my phone, there were only two devices listed (my laptop and my iPad). I've toggle the wifi calling feature on and off many times, I've restarted devices, I have reset my watch to factory and re-setup. The problem -- the watch app on my iPhoneX does NOT have the option/toggle to turn on wifi calling when I go to My Watch --> Phone. It just isn't there. 

Please help. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.3K Messages

3 y ago

Have you successfully number synced to the phone?  

If you have, the watch uses data for calls anyway, so I don’t think it requires WiFi calling.  

@GLIMMERMAN76. ?

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

The WiFi calling is necessary when cellular is not available. If you have an Apple Watch, you know the coverage for watch service is even spottier than iphones. Particularly, my house has bad service.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.3K Messages

3 y ago

Yes, BUT, once the watch is number synced to the phone, it will use data, mobile or WiFi, for calls or text.  It cannot actually make calls or text on its own.  Never could.  

If you have not set up number sync, set it up, your problem will solve itself.

https://www.imore.com/how-use-wi-fi-calling-apple-watch

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

I sure wish you were correct on this. NumberSync is set up, but if my watch is not within Bluetooth range of my phone in an area DOES Wifi (and WiFi is active on watch) but NO cell service — I can’t make a call via WiFi (and I should be able to via WiFi calling). Do you understand it differently? I’ve spoken with MANY support agents and I’m supposed to have a WiFi calling toggle on my watch app — it simply isn’t there. 

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

3 y ago

@lukehejl  Found this on the Apple community forum.  Don't know if this will work in your case.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8475833

One of the discussion items below

One of the discussion items on this problem

I contacted ATT and it appears its a "joint" issue. ATT told me there is a hard limit of 5 devices that can set up for WiFi calling (this is not the same as calling on the device when the iPhone is nearby). ATT has no way to reset the number even though it's their hard limit, the reset must be done on the Apple device side. It appears that if you do not completely "deregister" a device (ie WiFi calling stops working because of an update), it still counts to the hard limit of 5. The only work around I found was to deregister all devices on the iPhone, turn off wifi calling on all other devices, reboot and wait about 30 minutes for everything to sync up and then register the devices you want to use wifi calling on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8475833

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.3K Messages

3 y ago

There is no wifi calling toggle in the watch app or the watch.  Have you connected to WiFi on the watch?  I have never tried to call over wifi on my watch.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.3K Messages

3 y ago

@lukehejl wrote:

I sure wish you were correct on this. NumberSync is set up, but if my watch is not within Bluetooth range of my phone in an area DOES Wifi (and WiFi is active on watch) but NO cell service —

This makes me wonder if it’s set up right.  It shouldn’t need to rely on Bluetooth. 

I can’t make a call via WiFi (and I should be able to via WiFi calling). Do you understand it differently? I’ve spoken with MANY support agents and I’m supposed to have a WiFi calling toggle on my watch app — it simply isn’t there. 

@GLIMMERMAN76 Has a watch and I’m hoping he can shed light for you.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.