The new iPhone 15
rdbecker's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 4:39 PM

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

12 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

It was known that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data on LTE before it came out.  That is what Jane was getting at, not that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data at all.

Thank you!

And to the other person--if you're so concerned about the iPhone 5 not dropping down to 3G while on a call so that you can maintain a simutaneous data/voice connection without dropping the call or not being able to browse...then why are you making a big deal about it here?  It's not as if some AT&T employee or technician is gonna respond to your complaint here in this forum and say, "Yeah we're aware of the issue and are currently working on it."; if you think that it may be an issue with either the iPhone hardware or a cellular network transfer issue, then go call Apple and/or AT&T and open a ticket.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was able to go to settings --> general --> cellular and I disabled LTE, tried to surf internet while talking on phone and that worked. Then, I enabled LTE and tried to surf internet while talking on phone and now it is working!

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I live in St. Louis area as well (Brentwood to be exact), and I am experiencing the same exact issue.

I also discovered that if I disable LTE and receive/make a call, the 4G data connection works correctly as expected and results successful simultaneous voice & data.

If I enable LTE, and receive or make a call, iPhone 5 knocks back to 4G network for a second or two, then the 4G indicator drops and I receive error message in safari stating "Cellular data connections are not available during this call".  At this time, if i attempt to go to settings, while still on the voice call, and if I try to disable LTE in network settings, it warns me that doing so will in fact disconnect my current cal!

This behavior above is not consistent w/ the "Solution" posted to this thread.....

Just to note:

-I most definitely have 3G/4G HSPA+ in my area, as my iPhone 4S connects just fine to this network as well as my new iPhone 5 (when disabling LTE).  Also to note, the EDGE signal strength inside my house is too low to even successfully make a call, so I'm confident the iPhone 5 is not kicking back onto EDGE when a call is placed.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

My problem returned for several days leading me to call AT&T for help. They told me to replace my phone, which I did a week from last Friday. This problem returned yesterday and is still an issue today. I'm not too far from you in West County. I'm waiting to see if this issue goes away before taking action. I've wasted a lot of time dealing w/ AT&T and Apple since getting the new phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@jmb12686 wrote:

I live in St. Louis area as well (Brentwood to be exact), and I am experiencing the same exact issue.

I also discovered that if I disable LTE and receive/make a call, the 4G data connection works correctly as expected and results successful simultaneous voice & data.

If I enable LTE, and receive or make a call, iPhone 5 knocks back to 4G network for a second or two, then the 4G indicator drops and I receive error message in safari stating "Cellular data connections are not available during this call".  At this time, if i attempt to go to settings, while still on the voice call, and if I try to disable LTE in network settings, it warns me that doing so will in fact disconnect my current cal!

This behavior above is not consistent w/ the "Solution" posted to this thread.....

Just to note:

-I most definitely have 3G/4G HSPA+ in my area, as my iPhone 4S connects just fine to this network as well as my new iPhone 5 (when disabling LTE).  Also to note, the EDGE signal strength inside my house is too low to even successfully make a call, so I'm confident the iPhone 5 is not kicking back onto EDGE when a call is placed.

I live in the St Louis area also and just successfully did a call/data test. While on LTE, I started streaming music via Pandora. I then called my cell from a landline. The LTE indicator dropped to 4G when the call came in and as the phone rang, the music streaming from Pandora was interrupted. I answered the call and while on the call, opened Safari and started browsing the network. Once I completed the call, the music streaming via Pandora resumed.

I ran this test from the downtown area. No problem with simultaneous voice and data for me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I'm in St. Louis and experiencing similar issues.  Live in Brentwood and work out in Chesterfield.  The problem seems to start in the Brentwood area. 

Toggling the LTE off and on seems to alleviate the issue for a period of time.  Eventually, if I make a call or receive a call while LTE is enabled, it will drop to 4G as expected for a second or two, and then drops the 4G indicator all together.  At that point I receive the "Cellular data connections are not available during this call". 

As another posted mentioned, if I leave LTE off all the time, I do not experience the issue.  Additionally, I can toggle the LTE back on and get the simultaneous data and voice back for a period of time. 

Has anyone identified a solution?  As it works sometimes, it seems to be more of a software or network issue than hardware, so I'm hesitant to have Apple swap it out.  I have tried resetting the network settings as well as a backup and restore. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am also in St. Louis and having the same issue with my iPhone 5.  Funny thing is, when I first got it, it would switch to 4G and I would still be able to browse.  I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius there told me he has the same issue and he was told by AT&T they are aware of the issue and addressing it.  Not sure if that was just to pass the buck to someone else or not, but I registered just to let people in this thread know, especially since I saw so many people in this thread from St. Louis.  Also, I live near The Hill area and I am having this issue no matter where I am in St. Louis.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I called AT&T yesterday and was told that some iPhones purchased at Apple stores had a bad batch of SIM cards. I am going to have my SIM replaced tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Any luck with replacing the SIM card?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I just recently discovered the same issue on my way to work this morning driving from the Metro East into St Louis. From what I've read and understand, data and voice cannot run simultaneously while on LTE, however the phone should revert to 4G, 3G, or whatever lower tier data network is available to allow this feature. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to experiment as I was on my way in to work. However I did turn my Data Roam back on (Settings>General>Network) and that seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure this is the end all solution or not, but once I toggled the feature back on, I attempted a quick call (MODOT Traffic Info) and my network identifier did switch to 4G, and reverted back to LTE once I hung up the call. If this is the solution, you will need to be aware when traveling abroad, if data roam is left on, you will incur substantial additional charges, as the phone tries to use another carriers data to push content. Hope this helps!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.