Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Feb 12, 2020 6:51 AM

New phone?

Just purchased an alleged "new" iPhone. The phone looks clean and new, but I'm already getting phone calls and texts from the previous owner's contacts. Am I going to have to change phone numbers "again"?

One job AT&T, one job.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

2 months ago

A new iPhone has absolutely nothing to do with your new phone number. Numbers are recycled after a minimum of 6 months in the pool.
If you want to change your number then go ahead and do so, I believe you are allowed one free change within the first 30 days.
Just an FYI: I added a new number five years ago, and I am still getting the occasional phone call for someone I refer to as "deadbeat Connie".

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

@lizdance40 Thank you for responding. Phone calls, yes, it happens. But when I called someone with this new phone, the previous owner's name comes up on Caller ID.

So, I am emailing others the new phone number instead of calling them with it. Having to explain who Nicole is … nah, not my job. I already logged into my account to change the name on the phone but even that is going to take 3 days to complete with the weekend, its a holiday 3 day weekend, blah blah. It is comforting to believe that a company as big and as experienced as AT&T, takes the time to ensure the customer service experience is stellar. This is sloppy.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

That has absolutely nothing to do with the phone. Caller ID is tied to the number.

This is standard operating procedure with most cellular companies. There are not enough phone numbers to go around so they get recycled.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

I am very satisfied with the phone, I know this never involved the phone. When I worked for Spectrum, the used numbers were dead, not recycled for a 3 year period, even if you previously owned it you could not get it back, for 3 years. Now that I apparently own this number, I can see the calls made in November of 2019, the history is visible to me.

One can defend AT&T so far before the answer is, they screwed up. Now I am aware that once I give this phone up, at some time in the future, my call history will go with it and be visible to the next owner.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

@PurpleSaw Where did you buy this phone from?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

Now you're making stuff up. A new phone can only show its own history, or history you restore to it from a previous phone. It cannot show phone logs from a prior user after its factory reset.
Your account only shows call history for the calls you make and receive. Even a recycled number won't be on the same account, so will not show usage other than your own.
There is no way to see history as you claim.
Each carrier is given a generous block numbers to work with. Spectrum being only 18 months or so old would have a large block of numbers and would probably not have cycled through them all - Yet. Also as far as I know Spectrum provides Home Services Not prepaid temporary services. So it is unlikely they will ever have numbers that are cycled through as quickly as AT&T prepaid, and other prepaid carriers.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…