The new iPhone 15
tangfamily90's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 18th, 2016 3:01 AM

New iPhone 7 - No Service with activated SIM card

I received a new iPhone 7 yesterday. Picked it up at the AT&T store yesterday and was able to use it on the AT&T Network - I made a few calls, sent texts, etc. Then I went home to restore from backup on my desktop to load up my apps, etc., and it has said "No Service" ever since. I cannot make or receive calls at all, and cannot text, access email, etc. unless there is a wi-fi network available. The SIM card has been activated, and works if you put it in another phone (tried that at the AT&T store today). I've tried resetting the phone completely by restoring as a new phone twice (meaning I didn't restore it from a backup) - that didn't work either. I went to the Apple store and they ran their diagnostics -- all were fine so it's not a hardware issue. My other Apple devices are all functioning using AT&T's network so there is definitely service where I am. 

Any advice?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for your response. I go back to Apple today with hopes of getting a replacement.

The phone is brand new, under warranty and within the 14 day return window. There shouldn't be any fees.

Thanks again

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Cg9880 the 14 days is for returning the phone which would have a fee associated with it. The only way to get a free warranty replacement is through apple on iPhones.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Anonymous apple Rep in the Apple Store (Columbia, MD) I visited lied to me then.. 😡

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Went online with AT&T and conversed via live chat. After going through similar diagnostics, AT&T agreed that the device was defective and put notes on my account so the AT&T store rep would process the return. The online rep credited my account $25 as I had no service for three days and had to borrow a phone until a new device arrives.

The store rep did a full return and waived the restock fee as the return was for defective material. A new phone is now on order.

Provided the new phone works once received, I might actually admit that I am satisfied.......

I will post again when the new phone arrives.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

To follow up since this is my original posting, Apple replaced my phone at no charge. I did buy Apple Care with the phone originally and they offered to replace the phone even though I had pre-ordered it through AT&T. Since I tried multiple SIM cards and multiple reinstalls of iOS 10 on my original phone, they labeled the device defective and ordered me a new one. It took two days to come in (I have a silver 7 Plus, 128 GB) but Apple made it seamless. Not sure if the Apple Care bit helped but customer service at AT&T and Apple made it all work once we determined that it was a defective hardware issue.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hello all,

I also have problems with the new IPhone(s) 7 and 7 plus I just received. I went 2 days in a row to an ATT mobile store, and today I will go to the ATT Headquarters Office, because this is just weird. The ATT mobile store changed the sim twice, but what I learned is that the phones are having service (voice and text) only if you have the data turned on from your ATT account online. What I mean is that I have 20 GB share plan, and sometimes I have to turn off my son’s data, because he is using a lot of it, and I don't want to end up paying more for my plan (being over the limit), therefore sometimes I will turn off his data for a few days or so. When he had his IPhone 6, there was no problem with the service if his data was turned off from my ATT online account, but now with his new IPhone 7 (the same problem with my new IPhone 7 plus), as soon as I log in to my ATT account and turn off data, the phones show no service within seconds, regardless the WI-FI feature being on or off. This does not make sense, because I should have service (voice and texts) no matter if I have data turned on or off. Like it worked before with IPhone 6 and 6 plus. I was wondering if anybody else encountered this problem and can advise. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Mishuk I told had the exact same problems as you. I went back and forth many times between att and Apple. 1 att store took my first 7(my sons) back. Got another 7 from a different store as store #1 didn't have anymore. This was Saturday my sons data was turned off by the app. That new 2nd phone had no service. Went to apple they did a update to 10.0.2 saying it just came out Saturday morning. That didn't fix the problem. Went back to apple today and they replaced the phone tagging it defective. Within a hour the new(3) phone did the same thing. Went back to the att store and was told that the new 7 and 7+ need data to be turned on to work. This doesn't work for me as my son like yours can burn through data pretty quick. Since att doesn't offer any data limits with iPhone we were forced to return the 7. I still don't know what the real fix is only what the att rep said. I could turn the data off on my sons 6 and everything works fine but not with the 7. If anyone gets any info on a real fix please update this.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hello, I called ATT customer service and I explained the weird thing happening when I turn off data from my ATT account online. They never heard of this problem, they said that everything looks fine on their end, and that I should power off and on the iPhone 7 after I turned off the data from my account online and I see no service on the phone. I did and it worked, I mean I could call or text, but it lasted like an hour. After 1 hour I had to power off and on again the device to have service. This happened today, so I am checking how often my iPhone gets no service (I left the data turned off, while I'm checking). I will update u if it works properly without any interruptions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

That's what I found as well. Any of the fixes apple and att tried worked for about 1 hr. Forced reboot, remove and install sim, reset network settings all worked. But, after about 1hr failed again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Just tried booting up my new iPhone 7 from a 10-minutes old backup from my old iPhone 5s. Same message. Now, I have two bricked phones and no data or voice until I go to to an AT&T store or Apple Store at the mall. Great technology launch, Apple & AT&T.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.