Troubleshoot your device issues
tangfamily90's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Sep 18, 2016 3:01 AM

New iPhone 7 - No Service with activated SIM card

I received a new iPhone 7 yesterday. Picked it up at the AT&T store yesterday and was able to use it on the AT&T Network - I made a few calls, sent texts, etc. Then I went home to restore from backup on my desktop to load up my apps, etc., and it has said "No Service" ever since. I cannot make or receive calls at all, and cannot text, access email, etc. unless there is a wi-fi network available. The SIM card has been activated, and works if you put it in another phone (tried that at the AT&T store today). I've tried resetting the phone completely by restoring as a new phone twice (meaning I didn't restore it from a backup) - that didn't work either. I went to the Apple store and they ran their diagnostics -- all were fine so it's not a hardware issue. My other Apple devices are all functioning using AT&T's network so there is definitely service where I am. 

Any advice?

cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 y ago

Since Apple's tests determined it's not a hardware issue, your best bet is a visit to an AT&T store.  They can troubleshoot your connectivity and provide a new SIM if needed. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 y ago

Had the same issue. Had service then it would go away. Or sometimes I would get service but when I called someone, they couldn't hear while I could hear them.  Would get only 4G sometimes while my other iPhone 6 phone next to it had LTE. I called att first. They eventually referred me to Apple. Apple couldn't fix it over the phone and now I have to mail the phone back to Apple for repair.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

I am having the same problem.  Spent over an HOUR with ATT on the phone and even did a complete restore of the new iphone.  I can put the sim card in my old iphone and it gets coverage. However not as good as the coverage my husband's work iphone on ATT gets usually 3 bars LTE.  I am sitting on 1 bar LTE in my old 5S (on the old iOS).

Not sure which route to take now.  

ATTJulieCS

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

6 y ago

Thanks for posting, @tangfamily90, so sorry to hear you're having issues. Did you try performing a force restart on the device? If not, do so by doing the following:

• Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo

Let us know if this helps!

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

6 y ago

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 y ago

Don't know why you didn't tag me @Busternutt but I'll try the last post in the tread as well...Thank you for the post. 

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

6 y ago

@Anonymous Sorry, just overlooked you. No slight intended.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

I am experiencing the same issue.  

Spent 2 hours and 3 SIM cards with AT&T - I was told to go to Apple

Spent 2 hours with Appleand they blame AT&T.  

Still dont have service.  Apple explained that this happens with technology.   Are they serious?

there were at least 8 others with the same issue at the Apple Store.  

Going back today to return return phone and hopefully get out of my AT&T contract.   Apparently AT&T and T mobile are using different technology than other carriers causing this issue.  

No no one at Apple Store with Verizon and iPhone 7 issues.......  

very disappointed.  Watch Apple / AT&T stock tumble over this issue

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 y ago

@Cg9880 I had to yoyo between att and apple as well. Ended getting a replacement phone (+$48 device restocking fee) from ATT. I haven't had a problem...knock on wood... so it must of been a lemon phone...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

Thanks for your response. I go back to Apple today with hopes of getting a replacement.

The phone is brand new, under warranty and within the 14 day return window. There shouldn't be any fees.

Thanks again
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 y ago

@Cg9880 the 14 days is for returning the phone which would have a fee associated with it. The only way to get a free warranty replacement is through apple on iPhones.
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 y ago

@Anonymous apple Rep in the Apple Store (Columbia, MD) I visited lied to me then.. 😡

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

Went online with AT&T and conversed via live chat. After going through similar diagnostics, AT&T agreed that the device was defective and put notes on my account so the AT&T store rep would process the return. The online rep credited my account $25 as I had no service for three days and had to borrow a phone until a new device arrives.

The store rep did a full return and waived the restock fee as the return was for defective material. A new phone is now on order.

Provided the new phone works once received, I might actually admit that I am satisfied.......

I will post again when the new phone arrives.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

To follow up since this is my original posting, Apple replaced my phone at no charge. I did buy Apple Care with the phone originally and they offered to replace the phone even though I had pre-ordered it through AT&T. Since I tried multiple SIM cards and multiple reinstalls of iOS 10 on my original phone, they labeled the device defective and ordered me a new one. It took two days to come in (I have a silver 7 Plus, 128 GB) but Apple made it seamless. Not sure if the Apple Care bit helped but customer service at AT&T and Apple made it all work once we determined that it was a defective hardware issue.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.