For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
P

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, November 26th, 2020 11:43 AM

New iPhone 12 Pro Received with Small Crack in Screen

My new phone was delivered by Fedex yesterday.  The box was fine and the iPhone box inside the fedex box was fine. I opened the phone to activate and after peeling off the screen cover sticker noticed a small nick or scratch in the screen.  Need to return but instructions online are unclear and I'm not sure how to return the device for a new one since I won't have a phone during the process.  Can anyone advise on best practice?  Obviously inventory of the new iPhones is still low so this process will likely take some time.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Patrick

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

You need to call AT&T about this. It is likely they will assume that you drop the phone after unwrapping it.  But if you just slap it back in the box and put the return sticker on it they’re going to bill you for the full value of the phone when they get it back. You don’t want to do that.

it is a bit baffling that the packaging is not damaged but the phone is.

Be prepared.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I called immediately after receiving yesterday. The customer service rep told me to go to an ATT store.  At the store they said they could not help and were baffled why I was sent to a store.  The store employees had me call support while there to see if we could find a solution together.  The lady I spoke to on the phone this time informed me that I had 7 days to return/exchange no questions asked but could not find a solution for what to do for a phone in the mean time.  They also won't send a replacement until I return the first one.  

After working with the store they activated my old Verizon iPhone and my other new phones so that I could end my Verizon account and start my ATT account.  But now online I don't see a clear way to initiate a return/exchange.  I plan to call tomorrow and confirm the steps.  The customer service has been a disaster and no one seems to want to help they just want to pawn you off to other people who then say you need someone else.  It also appears a lot of the reps are in another country - their English is fine but the accents make it impossible to understand them. 

Thanks so much for the reply & Happy Thanksgiving.  Thanks in advance if anyone else who has knowledge or experience with this.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

Unfortunately don't think there's much in the way of precedent for this sort of situation. A damaged phone never should have gone into the box in the first place, and that certainly is what must have happened.

If things start to go sideways, be prepared to file a Better Business Bureau complaint online. Those complaints are forwarded to AT&T upper management who can do things that none of the first line contact people can

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.