Pre-order the new Google Pixel 7, Google Pixel 7 Pro and new Google Pixel Watch - Online Now!
The new iPhone 14
cmwaters83's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Apr 18, 2019 11:22 PM

New “5G”

Any updates on the issues with the “5G” system and media in texting? I tested my phone on WiFi, I tested turning on and off SMS, Low Quality Photo, MMS, etc... my gifs work perfectly fine on WiFi and LTE- but not 5G. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.9K Messages

Il y a 3 y

There are no updates because I doubt it is a known problem nor is anyone working on it. I can’t think of any reason why 5Ge would be the cause but anything is possible. I’ve only seen two such reports and the other report said nothing about 5Ge, only that gifs were small when iMessages were sent over cellular. That’s not enough to conclude anything yet.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

We gotta stop calling “5Ge”, 5G, when it’s LTE+.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Ok so I further tested it this morning-

i turned off imessage in "5GE"... and the gif sent perfectly fine. 

I turned imessage back on in "5GE" and I got tiny gifs. 

Conclusion AT&T 5GE + iMessage s*cks. (and apparently S*CKS is a "bad word" hahaha) 

I'll take my Nobel prize now. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@cmwaters83 wrote:

Ok so I further tested it this morning-

i turned off imessage in "5GE"... and the gif sent perfectly fine. 

I turned imessage back on in "5GE" and I got tiny gifs. 

Conclusion AT&T 5GE + iMessage s*cks. (and apparently S*CKS is a "bad word" hahaha) 

I'll take my Nobel prize now. 

Not having that problem with a iPhone xs max or the other 4 iPhones on the account 2 x and 2 8+.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

iMessage is passé.  It was a thing Apple invented when everyone had unlimited data, but no WiFi calling.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@lizdance40 wrote:

iMessage is passé.  It was a thing Apple invented when everyone had unlimited data, but no WiFi calling.  

How many iMessages do you think are sent per day?  Its over 40 billion per day thru the apple servers...  Now if you were talking about BBM which is being shut down then I would agree.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

How many iMessages do you think are sent per day?  Its over 40 billion per day thru the apple servers...  Now if you were talking about BBM which is being shut down then I would agree.

Not the point I was trying to make.  It’s an unneeded service now that text is unlimited and data often is not.  It solved a problem at the time created, that isn’t a problem for almost all users.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@lizdance40 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

Not the point I was trying to make.  It’s an unneeded service now that text is unlimited and data often is not.  It solved a problem at the time created, that isn’t a problem for almost all users.

Actually for security I will take iMessage over SMS right now.  You don't get the same security with SMS that you do with iMessage.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I recently posted about small gifs over cellular. But I did some additional experimenting this weekend and found that they were sending normally when my phone displays "LTE."  So it does seem like the issue could be related to when the phone displays "5GE." 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@mentsmin wrote:

I recently posted about small gifs over cellular. But I did some additional experimenting this weekend and found that they were sending normally when my phone displays "LTE."  So it does seem like the issue could be related to when the phone displays "5GE." 

it very well could be.  I would say apple messed something up.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Confirmed that this is a 5Ge issue. Happening on multiple iPhones, but only when sending on 5Ge. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.9K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@ReignofJerm wrote:

Confirmed that this is a 5Ge issue. Happening on multiple iPhones, but only when sending on 5Ge. 

That still does not mean 5Ge is the issue. It could be iMessage. In fact, I would bet it is iMessage. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I'm not suggesting there is something wrong with the 5Ge network, it's clearly an issue in the interaction between the 2.  But it only happens on the 5Ge network.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Il y a 3 y

And still no updates on this frustrating issue?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 3 y

I'm having issues with texting since 5GE showed up in my area. Delayed sends, don't receive messages from people, etc. Samsung phone.

Need help?
The new iPhone 14
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.