Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
S

• 

7 Messages

Friday, January 28th, 2022 5:00 AM

network unlock iPhone 7 not working

I've done the network unlock procedure a few months ago. Everytime I check the status it says I am entering my phone number incorrectly. Then it asks me to recreate the process. This then tells me there's already a submission in the system. How do I reset and restart this procedure please? I purchased the phone to use in South Africa and haven't been able to.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

11K Messages

2 years ago

You should be requesting as a non-customer, which only requires the IMEI number, not a phone number.  If you’re getting the message that the number doesn’t match an AT&T device, that means the IMEI isn’t in their database, usually because it was never used with AT&T, and therefore wasn’t registered and added to the database.  If you’re getting the message that there is already a request in progress, that means someone already requested an unlocking for that IMEI, and it either has to complete, or cancel itself out.  If the requestor never responded to the confirmation email within 24 hours, it will never complete and you’ll have to wait for the request to cancel and reset itself.

What exactly is the error message you are getting now?  Where did you buy the phone?  From someplace like AT&T or Apple, or from a third party?  Was it a brand new phone or second hand?  Do, or did, you have an AT&T account and was the phone ever used on AT&T’s network.

Does the phone meet the eligibility requirements for unlocking?

• Your AT&T device isn't reported lost, stolen, or involved in fraud.
  • You purchased your device with an installment or term agreement and:
    • You've had active AT&T service for at least 60 days.
    • You completed your contract (including paying any early termination fees) or paid off your installment agreement at least 24 hours before your unlock request.
  • You have AT&T service and no past due or unpaid balances.
  • Your device isn't active on another AT&T account.
  • You waited at least 14 days after an early upgrade to unlock your old device (30 days if you have a business account).
  • Your AT&T PREPAID® device has been active for at least 6 months.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the reply. How do i request as a non customer that requires only the imei?

>error message?

when i insert my sim, it says network not supported or something similar

> where did i buy it?

online at a goodwill, ps it's not icloud locked after resetting

> do or did you (it) have an at&t account

i dont know, but the stored network id before i inserted my sim was at&t

(i've seen iphones remember the last sim operator)

how can i find out the rest, as the general link to unlock says a request was sent, but i nver received a confirmation email.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

get a refund a used iphone from goodwill is never a good idea, none of the information about the account before will be shared with you.

likely scenario, person has phone and tries to unlock it, phone doesnt meet unlock requirements which is most likely an unpaid bill, person sells to goodwill to make a few bucks.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

goodwill is donation only.

plus your answer isn't practical for me if you read my location info. i have a 95 percent working phone that works on wifi and everything else and i'm prepared to pay the outstanding bill if i only i knew where to start. is this the typical service level in usa?

(edited)

ACE - Master

• 

11K Messages

2 years ago

@steppaZA   You request an unlock as a non-customer by answering No to the first question which is usually “are you a customer” or “do you have an AT&T mobile number”, or something similar.

That said, there are eligibility requirements that must be met for a phone to be unlocked.  If those eligibility requirements weren’t met by the previous owner, then the phone won’t be unlocked and there is nothing you can do about that.  You can’t pay any outstanding bill because AT&T won’t tell you anything about someone else’s account, including what is owed on a phone.  

The fact that phones are usually locked and have eligibility requirements for unlocking requirements that must be met are “typical service” in the US.  That’s why it’s always a risk buying a used phone from a third party and expecting to be able to use it outside the US.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

ok. thanks for answering. straight to the dump with a perfectly good phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.