Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
What is happening with 3G?
J

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Jan 30, 2020 5:44 AM

Locked phone

I got sold a locked phone, carrier provider is AT&T. If I start a new line at AT&T. Would I pay the remaining of the installment plan that the locked phone is under? Once the installment plan is fully paid, will I be able to unlock it?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

2 y ago

Only the person that had the account can pay off the device and that was not you if I read what you wrote right.

• 

2 Messages

is an installment plan and paying the full price of phone the same or different? What is an installment plan?

mobilemax

Employee

• 

797 Messages

2 y ago

Hello,

For full details visit att.com/deviceunlock and you’ll find an option for customer and non-customer. You can try and submit one and see what you get back. Generally, however, if the phone was purchased by someone else and they haven’t paid it off and/or their account isn’t in good standing, you will not be able to successfully get the portal to unlock it. It will say, it has not been paid off or active under another att account.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

2 y ago

An installment plan is the monthly payment plan for the phone but no, you will not be required to pay off the phone. In fact, you can’t pay off the phone even if you wanted to. Only the original account owner that still owes for the phone can pay it off. The phone will not be unlocked until it is paid off.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.