#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

12 Messages

Tue, Dec 15, 2020 3:39 AM

Closed

Japanese iPhone 7 unlock

I would like to get my iPhone unlocked but when going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, it gives me an error after entering the IMEI. This iPhone is an iPhone 7 Japanese Model A1779.

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

1 y ago

I do indeed know what unlocked and locked mean. I just don't understand what the posts above this one are stating. Some were stating it could be locked to verizon. Also, some were stating it was locked to some carrier in japan. Don't just say i dont know stuff. Okay. I'm just confused because of this mess of a forum. OK? Quotes, "If it really is a Japanese model iPhone, not sure how it could be locked to AT&T." "What makes you think it is locked to ATT? That shouldn’t be possible." "Could be locked to Verizon.  Could be locked to one of the MVNOs.  Or, it could actually be a Japanese phone that is either locked to a Japanese carrier, or it won’t work with US carriers."

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

1 y ago

Sounds like an IMSI issue (not to be confused with IMEI). A phone purchased non-domestically will have an different IMSI number which may not be recognized on the domestic AT&T market, or the phone was hacked somehow. I don't think there is anything AT&T can do.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

1 y ago

Every response has been clear: according to your model number provided, its a Japanese model, it cannot be locked to a US carrier. 

It's not compatible with Verizon.

No one in any way indicated or suggested it's locked to Verizon.  Verizon phones could not be locked when iPhone 7 came out.   I won't get into Verizon lock Policy other than to write - not possible. 

Whatever the problem is, it's not an AT&T problem.  

I agree with @OttoPylot it's  a non US iPhone problem.   

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

1 y ago

Ok it does make sense that there nothing the US at&t can do I guess. But I did quote where someone suggested that it may have been locked to Verizon. So you are indeed wrong. and I quote, "Could be locked to Verizon.  Could be locked to one of the MVNOs.  Or, it could actually be a Japanese phone that is either locked to a Japanese carrier, or it won’t work with US carriers." -dwill05

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

1 y ago

What’s your point?  I threw out a bunch of possibilities.  It doesn’t meant that they are all correct.  At the point that I answered, all that you had said is that 1) it came back as a Japanese model iPhone, and 2) it was rejected at the unlocking portal as not being an AT&T device.  That’s all the information that you had provided.

(edited)

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

1 y ago

There was no point really. This thread was just a mess and I got defensive when lizdance40 said I knew nothing about unlocking devices... when in reality I study all sorts of electronics except androids. So indeed I knew about electronics, but this just stumped me because I didn't research stuff about international unlocks and didn't realize how big of a problem this is with Japanize iPhones or really any phone made for use outside of the u.s.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.