#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

12 Messages

Tue, Dec 15, 2020 3:39 AM

Closed

Japanese iPhone 7 unlock

I would like to get my iPhone unlocked but when going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, it gives me an error after entering the IMEI. This iPhone is an iPhone 7 Japanese Model A1779.

Constructive

Employee

• 

28K Messages

2 y ago

Ok

@lizdance40  ever hear of this?

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

If it really is a Japanese model iPhone, not sure how it could be locked to AT&T.  What error are you getting?  Not an AT&T device?

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

2 y ago

Yes, I'm getting not an AT&T device.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

That’s because it’s not an ATT device. What makes you think it is locked to ATT? That shouldn’t be possible.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

2 y ago

Probably PUK locked. 

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

2 y ago

On ios 14 if you go to settings then about it shows sim locked. Plus I've tried to enter a t-mobile sim just to check, and yes it says "sim not supported"

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

2 y ago

Also, what is a puk lock and can I remove it?

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

How do you know it’s locked to AT&T?  Yes, it says it’s locked, but it doesn’t say to whom.  Again, if it really is a Japanese model iPhone, it shouldn’t be possible to be locked to a US carrier, and the unlocking portal showing that it’s not an AT&T device would be entirely correct.

For a PUK code, you need to have an AT&T account and SIM, because you have to go into your account to get the unlock code.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1011771/

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

2 y ago

I don't have access to my att account as I'm on a family plan and I'm not the owner. As I said above your post, I've tried a t-mobile sim card and it wasn't supported, meaning it's definitely locked to att. I've done research on this, and apparently other people have the same problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

2 y ago

Not possible.   

US Flex activation policy can't lock a non US, non AT&T phone. 

Contact Apple and find out what carrier your phone is locked to if any.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

AT&T and T-mobile aren’t the only two US carriers.  All you know for sure is that it isn’t locked to T-mobile.  Could be locked to Verizon.  Could be locked to one of the MVNOs.  Or, it could actually be a Japanese phone that is either locked to a Japanese carrier, or it won’t work with US carriers.

In any case, for whatever reason, the IMEI isn’t in AT&T’s database.  And if you aren’t the owner of the phone, or the account holder, it’s very unlikely that AT&T is going to add the IMEI and unlock it for you.

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

1 y ago

So I went and bought a Verizon sim card just to see if were actually locked to Verizon and yep i got the sim not supported screen

Jack_r3126

• 

12 Messages

1 y ago

Again it works fine on At&t right now. It just isn't in their database of imeis. I'm just going to get a new or used phone cause im assuming it's actually locked to some carrier in Japan.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

1 y ago

Does the phone work with an ATT SIM card? If so, that would indicate it’s locked to ATT but it shouldn’t be. You should really contact Apple.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

1 y ago

@Jack_r3126

Your last two posts confirmed for me that you do not understand what it means to be a locked to a carrier.  Or unlocked, or carrier compatible. 

When a phone is carrier-locked that means it won't work on someone else's carrier. For example if your phone was locked to a Japanese carrier it would not work on AT&T, and it would not work on T-Mobile.

The fact that it does work on AT&T just fine means that it cannot be locked to a carrier in Japan.

The reason it does not work on Verizon is because your phone does not have all of the necessary Hardware that makes it compatible with Verizon. 

Verizon has used different network type for decades and until very recently phones that worked on AT&T mobile could not work on Verizon or Sprint. Phones that are made for Europe and Asia often will work on AT&T or T-Mobile but will not work on Verizon or Sprint.

As it happens the iPhone 7 is one of the phones that was made with a version for Verizon and sprint, with LTE band 13, and imei white listed for Verizon.  

And iPhone 7 that is made for Europe, Asia,  T-Mobile or AT&T, cannot work on Verizon.

If you had an iPhone 8 or newer, they are all universal hardware.  

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.