Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
J

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, December 15th, 2020 3:39 AM

Closed

Japanese iPhone 7 unlock

I would like to get my iPhone unlocked but when going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, it gives me an error after entering the IMEI. This iPhone is an iPhone 7 Japanese Model A1779.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

Ok

@lizdance40  ever hear of this?

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

3 years ago

If it really is a Japanese model iPhone, not sure how it could be locked to AT&T.  What error are you getting?  Not an AT&T device?

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, I'm getting not an AT&T device.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

That’s because it’s not an ATT device. What makes you think it is locked to ATT? That shouldn’t be possible.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 years ago

Probably PUK locked. 

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

On ios 14 if you go to settings then about it shows sim locked. Plus I've tried to enter a t-mobile sim just to check, and yes it says "sim not supported"

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Also, what is a puk lock and can I remove it?

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

3 years ago

How do you know it’s locked to AT&T?  Yes, it says it’s locked, but it doesn’t say to whom.  Again, if it really is a Japanese model iPhone, it shouldn’t be possible to be locked to a US carrier, and the unlocking portal showing that it’s not an AT&T device would be entirely correct.

For a PUK code, you need to have an AT&T account and SIM, because you have to go into your account to get the unlock code.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1011771/

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I don't have access to my att account as I'm on a family plan and I'm not the owner. As I said above your post, I've tried a t-mobile sim card and it wasn't supported, meaning it's definitely locked to att. I've done research on this, and apparently other people have the same problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 years ago

Not possible.   

US Flex activation policy can't lock a non US, non AT&T phone. 

Contact Apple and find out what carrier your phone is locked to if any.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.