Troubleshoot your device issues
G

• 

14 Messages

Sat, Jul 18, 2020 12:09 AM

Is AT&T can lock unlocked phone?

I have iphone 11 pro which i have purchased in march 2020 the phone i purchased was UNLOCKED but now when i change the sim card its showing locked. I dont what is the issue. how can at&t lock the UNLOCKED device.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

Where did you buy the phone and what told you it was unlocked?  If you bought from AT&T, it’s always sold locked.  If it’s bought from Best Buy or another place, it may have been sold under the US reseller flex policy where it’s technically unlocked and sold without a SIM card, but when you put a SIM card in, the software is designed to lock to the first SIM card installed.

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

I have brought this phone from Best buy. If  phone is locked on 1st sim then what is the use of buying unlocked phone. Also can you please let me know what can be done to unlock it again? Also i get to know this because once i changes the sim its showing me “please request service provider to unlock the device. This is not hardware issue. etc.”

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

It’s sold that way because that’s how Apple chooses to sell the those phones under their policy.  The online process to unlock the phone is here:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/unlockstep1

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

I have tried this method but i got mail saying ”your device Hasn’t been active for 6 months- try after 6month”

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2 y ago

The six month message implies that you are using it with prepaid.  AT&T has a requirement for 6 months of continuous service before they will allow an unlock of a phone used on prepaid.  Right or wrong, that’s their rule.  If you bought it in March, you’ll have to wait a few more months.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

That 6 month requirement for prepaid is intended for prepaid phones. An iPhone 11 is not a prepaid phone. It is possible to get an exception to the 6 month requirement but it is not easy. If you can prove paying full retail price for the iPhone 11, you may be able to get an exception. The best way to pursue is by filing an FCC complaint.

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

Yes, I have paid full retail price. Also if i can wait for few months then do i need to continue with current at&t service? means do i need to pay at&t service charges for remaining months? because currently i am out of country. @sandblaster thank you for your inputs. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

Not sure I understand your question. If you are able to get the exception, you don’t need to keep paying for service. If you just plan to wait the 6 months, yes, you must continue paying for service. The requirement is to have 6 months of continuous paid service.

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

Ok Got it, if i want to just wait for 6 month then do i have to do full prepaid recharge (currently using $75 pack) or just any small amount recharge is fine because any way i am not gonna use this card?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

You must pay for whatever plan you have. Unfortunately, you have the most expensive one. If you could change to a pay per use plan, you would only need to pay $10 every 30 days or $25 every 90 days until you get to 6 months.

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

Ok, i can change plan by log in to my at&t account but once i change it then remaining days they count it in 6 months or not? 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

Sorry, I don’t understand that question. Any plan change is effective immediately, not sure what you mean by remaining days. Any days left on your current plan are lost. I suggest you refill your account with $25 before you change the plan just to ensure there is no service disruption and your 6 month clock doesn’t restart. Do you know for sure you can access your account? Account access is normally blocked from most locations abroad.

• 

14 Messages

2 y ago

Ok, i am able to log in. need to conform about plan change. also i meant left days of 6 months. so my prepaid plan will expire on 23 July. so if i change the plan on 22 July from $75 to $25 then my remaining days of 6 months will be complete.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2 y ago

I know you want to change your plan from the $75 plan to the $2 per day plan. And then refill with $25. That $25 will extend your expiration date 90 days. If you do not refill before the 90-day expiration date you will lose the $25 and again your account will be closed and number lost. Put the date in your calendar and make sure you refill on day 89

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

When did you first start the $75 plan? Your 6 months won’t be complete until 6 months from that date provided service was continuous.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.