The new iPhone 15
lenticular's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 8:36 PM

iPhone with cellular data turned off doesn't ring for incoming calls

Recently I was in Italy on vacation with my father.  We both took our iPhones with us and both turned off cellular data and data roaming to avoid incurring charges.  My thought was that we could still recieve phone calls, and could call each other if we were separated. Our phones automatically connected to Vodaphone's network.

We found that if we called each other our phones never rang, but did show the calls as "missed calls" on the lock screens. 

Back in the States, I forgot to turn cellular data back on, and continued to experience the "missed calls" that never rang.  Same story with my dad.  With cell data back on, we received calls as normal as well as receiving voicemails that had been left while we were out of the country.

This isn't an ongoing problem for me but seems odd.  Why would an incoming call not ring with cell data turned off?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

10 years ago

You kinda answered your own question.

your cellular data was turned off.....
No matter how I put it, it sounds snotty, I don't mean to be. My son went to Jamaica and used almost all our mobile data in one day, before he left the country. I turned his data off. He got no calls or texts till he got home

Oddly, it is an iPhone thing. It does use the term cellular data, rather than mobile data (as non iPhones do)
I can turn off mobile data on my android and it behaves as a "dumb phone"

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

The tab under the cellular data setting says "Turn off cellular data to restrict all data to Wi_Fi, including email, web browsing, and push notifications."  Those are typical data applications, so that makes sense to me.  Turning cellular data off does not disable the ability to make or receive calls.

Just now, for instance, I turned cell data off on my phone and called my wife's iPhone. It never rang, but when she looked, she saw that there was an active incoming call from me. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

Turning off cellular data should not have any effect on the ability to make or receive voice calls. I don't know if it is just an iphone thing but I'm on my 3rd iphone (3G, 4 and now 5) and they have all had a tendancy to occaisionally miss calls that they should have received. 

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hello Community members!  Here is some additional information about this type of issue you might find useful.

1) Please log in to your account from www.att.com using your att access ID and password. Check your call log from MyATT>Usage>Voice. Can you see missed calls there?
a. If it shows missed calls please follow the following steps
2) Check blocked numbers from settings > phone > blocked > remove number from blocked list if needed.
3) Settings > D oNotDisturb > turn off Manual option in other device
4) What was your signal strength when issue occurs?
5) Were you on Wi-Fi or cellular?
a. Is your WIFI calling on?
b. Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling > Wi-Fi Calling on This Phone >Toggle Wi-Fi calling off and test the resolution.
6) Please download mark the spot app and report the issue.
a. Download link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My iPhone 6s misses calls when data off. [word filter avoidance] I leave data on now, but turn off individual users.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.