For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
x3pink's profile

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

Friday, December 24th, 2010 2:58 AM

iPhone problems iOS 4.2.1

I've been having problems with my phone being a little slow and it just shut off by itself and wouldn't turn on. So i did the master reset where you push the home and power button at the same time. It worked after i did that.

the ios is 4.2.1 . is anyone else having this same problem?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

Which iPhone are you using?  It helps to compare with the OS.

It's not uncommon for a smartphone to get slow or lock up on occasions.  I always turn my iPhone off and back on after I install updates to my apps or once a week.  This keeps it running smoothly.

Only if it is happening on a regular basis do you need to be concerned.  Sometimes it can be cause from memory leaks, especially if you ran program that was badly coded.  Turning the phone off and back on or a soft reset (holding power&home button until logo appears) as you found normally solves the issue.

If it happening often, I would first look to see if there is an app you are running when it normally happens.  If the same app is always running I would try uninstalling that app first.

If not then the next step is restoring your phone.  Restore your phone and you can use a backup so you don't loose any data, saved games etc. 

If that doesn't solve the issue the next step is to restore without using a backup and do not install anything. 

-If your still having issues then I'd look at having it replaced. 

-If it does solve the issue it was an issue with the OS, a backup your were using or something you had installed.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@x3pink wrote:

I've been having problems with my phone being a little slow and it just shut off by itself and wouldn't turn on. So i did the master reset where you push the home and power button at the same time. It worked after i did that.

What you describe is not a "master reset" but instead just a reboot of the device.

The iPhone, like all smart phones is just a computer.  Sometimes they require a reboot.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I, also, have been having problems since December 24, 2010.  I have intermittent access, otherwise I have not been able to make or receive calls, send email or texts.  I have the iPhone 4, which I guess is the iOS 4.2.1.  I just got this phone a month or so ago, and am not that familiar. 

Pressed home and on/off button, but that didn't help.

Googled yesterday, and came up with a forum with the same problem around 2009 all across the Northeast.  I'm in Maryland.  Any advice would help.  Thanks.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

If yourphone has been working fine and you suddenly have problems one day and you haven't done anything to it, it may be a network issue, not a phone issue.  Dec 24 may have been a heavy use day and the network just got overloaded.  If you tried rebooting the phone, and other people with AT&T cell phones around you aren't having problems, then take the phone in to Apple and have them look at it.

Also, you can always see what version of the OS your phone is running by looking in Settings.  But if something similar happened in 2009 allover the Northeast, then it has nothing to do with the OS.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

@41gmadop wrote:

I, also, have been having problems since December 24, 2010.  I have intermittent access, otherwise I have not been able to make or receive calls, send email or texts.  I have the iPhone 4, which I guess is the iOS 4.2.1.  I just got this phone a month or so ago, and am not that familiar. 

Pressed home and on/off button, but that didn't help.

Googled yesterday, and came up with a forum with the same problem around 2009 all across the Northeast.  I'm in Maryland.  Any advice would help.  Thanks.

I'm in Maryland, too, in Prince George's County.  I was able to make and receive phone calls on Christmas day.  Are you still having problems?  What part of Maryland are you in?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks, I'm still having problems, and will take it in tomorrow.  Thanks for your help.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

13 years ago

@satchev wrote:

@x3pink wrote:

The iPhone, like all smart phones is just a computer.  Sometimes they require a reboot.

LOL--I thought the iPhone wasn't "like all (other) smart phones", as more than a few iPhone folks love to keep reminding the anti-iPhone/Apple folks (I'm not implying that you're in this group)?  And iPhones require a reboot sometimes?  Heck, if it needed to be done on a Windows-based computer it would be viewed as a shortcoming of the OS...but hey, if it's done on an Apple computer (Mac/Macbook/iPhone/iPad/iPT) it's not considered a problem?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I have rebooted, at least 10/15 times, it doesn't help.  I'm still having the same problems.  My son, who has an iPhone 3 was not having any problems until he came to my house on Christmas, had problems here, and said, his phone was okay when he left here. 

Nothing has changed in my house since I first purchased this iPhone (about a month ago), and it has been working fine until December 24th, when I started having problems. 

I did get in my car, was having problems in my driveway, but did not when I drove around the block.  We are in a little valley here, as my neighbor the electrician calls it, really more of an incline, but I don't see how any of this would affect my iPhone since I didn't have problems at first.

My other son has a Blackberry, and he didn't have problems while in my house with his Blackberry. 

Guru

• 

815 Messages

13 years ago

I also had this issue. I updated to 4.2.1 on my 3gs and then it worked fine for awhile then one day it just froze. I did the reset with the power and home button... It forever froze on the white apple logo. I had to reformat.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.