Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
The new iPhone 14
J

• 

1 Message

Sunday, August 9th, 2020 3:58 PM

IPHONE BLOCKED - ATT refuse to unlock

Hello,

I have a ATT phone that is locked. My work has given it to me but now I have come back to canada due to CORONA.

I have sumited for unlocking but ATT has refused.

There must be an error because I see no resone why this phone cannot be unlcoked. In canada it is illegale to refuse a device unlock from customer. Thanks

IPHONE 7 

Constructive

Employee

• 

30.4K Messages

2 years ago

But it’s a us based phone and us based service which has nothing to do with Canadian laws. The only way to unlock it is for the company to unlock it. There are hundreds of thousands of employees getting laid off or fired and not returning company phone therefore AT&T requires the company to unlock it 

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

2 years ago

I’ll second this ⬆️   
if your company gave you a phone it belongs to the company. In my experience a business owned phone can only be unlocked by the business that owns the phone, not by the user, not even after the business turns over the phone number and gives you the phone.

I don’t exactly understand the ‘why‘ of this, but once a phone is sold to a business it’s always considered their property.  

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

Likely the business never takes the phone off of the business account.  The company can tell you that the phone is all yours as loudly as they want, but if the Company is the last recorded owner of the phone in AT&T’s records, they it will stay their phone until the company takes it off their business account.  

Get your company to unlock the phone.  If they won’t, that’s on your former company, not AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.