Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The new iPhone 14
samjas09's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Sep 11, 2017 7:45 PM

iPhone 7Plus Bending?

Not too pleased with Apple or AT&T at the moment.

Cliff notes: iPhone 7Plus is bent and not vibrating, numerous calls, store visits, many miles driven to various stores to be told to file an insurance claim.

Full story: My roughly two month old iPhone 7Plus quit vibrating last week, I don't live close to an Apple Store so my options for repair are limited.  I went through the online chat with AT&T, and the gentleman had me erase my iPhone (back up was done the day before) to be told that "yes something is wrong, call this number" I  find out it's Apple and the entire time, this was going to be the solution.  Why wasted my time, roughly an hour to have me delete and erase everything to tell me to call Apple if you can just open up with, "call Apple." Apple mentions a repair store in my city, I leave work early to get there to be told that they don't fix iPhones on site and mail everything off, Apple tells me every Best Buy is now certified, which I found to be incorrect, only two stores in NC are, I call them before I drive two hours and am told they only change batteries and mail off my phone for everything else.  I get an appointment at the apple store, which is 79 miles one way.  The genius was friendly, looks at my phone, takes the case off, looks at the settings and tells me he is going to replace it and to leave it as a new phone for a few days to make sure that it works and if it starts doing it again, that one of my apps caused it and to reset it and start over.  As he's wrapping up, he picks up the phone and says, wait, this is bent, this is physical damage, and I can't help you.  Go through your insurance, it's cheaper than my 349 I will charge you for a new phone.

My frustration here is, how is it that it could be anything, but the minute he has a potential out, that it's the physical damage.  It's clearly bent, now that he pointed it out, no denying that I had to have done it, the phone is scratch, dent and crack free, it just has a nice bend in the back of the phone.  I've carried most of the iPhones, several of the Note and Galaxy series smart phones and have yet to have a phone bend on me.  Ontop of paying close to a grand for the phone, I now need to buy an insurance refurbished phone that is potentially going to do the same thing. 

Why am I posting here you wonder.....AT&T chat told me to. I asked for an email address to voice my concern about the difficulty getting service and the overall situation and was told to post publically here and someone would then get in contact with me. 

Has anyone else experienced this, what was your solution? Eat the cost and switch to an Android?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

5 y مضت

@samjas09 wrote:

Not too pleased with Apple or AT&T at the moment.

Cliff notes: iPhone 7Plus is bent and not vibrating, numerous calls, store visits, many miles driven to various stores to be told to file an insurance claim.

Full story: My roughly two month old iPhone 7Plus quit vibrating last week, I don't live close to an Apple Store so my options for repair are limited.  I went through the online chat with AT&T, and the gentleman had me erase my iPhone (back up was done the day before) to be told that "yes something is wrong, call this number" I  find out it's Apple and the entire time, this was going to be the solution.  Why wasted my time, roughly an hour to have me delete and erase everything to tell me to call Apple if you can just open up with, "call Apple." Apple mentions a repair store in my city, I leave work early to get there to be told that they don't fix iPhones on site and mail everything off, Apple tells me every Best Buy is now certified, which I found to be incorrect, only two stores in NC are, I call them before I drive two hours and am told they only change batteries and mail off my phone for everything else.  I get an appointment at the apple store, which is 79 miles one way.  The genius was friendly, looks at my phone, takes the case off, looks at the settings and tells me he is going to replace it and to leave it as a new phone for a few days to make sure that it works and if it starts doing it again, that one of my apps caused it and to reset it and start over.  As he's wrapping up, he picks up the phone and says, wait, this is bent, this is physical damage, and I can't help you.  Go through your insurance, it's cheaper than my 349 I will charge you for a new phone.

My frustration here is, how is it that it could be anything, but the minute he has a potential out, that it's the physical damage.  It's clearly bent, now that he pointed it out, no denying that I had to have done it, the phone is scratch, dent and crack free, it just has a nice bend in the back of the phone.  I've carried most of the iPhones, several of the Note and Galaxy series smart phones and have yet to have a phone bend on me.  Ontop of paying close to a grand for the phone, I now need to buy an insurance refurbished phone that is potentially going to do the same thing. 

Why am I posting here you wonder.....AT&T chat told me to. I asked for an email address to voice my concern about the difficulty getting service and the overall situation and was told to post publically here and someone would then get in contact with me. 

Has anyone else experienced this, what was your solution? Eat the cost and switch to an Android?

well part of the problem is apple as they want to handle almost all of the warranty claims.  Then there is the fact with assurion your going to get non apple parts in the phone and apple wont touch it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

I didn't know that about Asurion.  That makes my desire to switch to Android even greater.  I'm not someone that will only buy Apple or only buy an Android.  I'm a technology fan, and both have pros and cons, this however, is a HUGE con to me.  It wasn't even a "detailed" inspection of the phone, he saw the bend and went straight to, I can't help you.  I did some research on the 6Plus bending and there was apparently a thorough process to inspect it to see if it qualified for a replacement. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100.4K Messages

5 y مضت

@samjas09

"...Why am I posting here you wonder.....AT&T chat told me to. I asked for an email address to voice my concern about the difficulty getting service and the overall situation and was told to post publically here and someone would then get in contact with me.
Has anyone else experienced this, what was your solution? Eat the cost and switch to an Android?...."

Passing the buck.  Classic.   The only thing I can write is you were told correct.  Physical damage voids the warranty.  Your options are insurance at $225 deductible, or live with a defective phone.  Yes you can always by a replacement.  

Plenty of people have had this experience.   The solutions are (yeah, sorry smart alec response) don't put you phablet in your pocket (or whatever caused it to bend).  The bigger they are the easier they bend.  

You can sell the phone for part on eBay.  

Sorry I can't provide better news.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y مضت

All warranties are covered by the manufacturers. Apple especially. You'll have to address this with them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

David, I'm not trying to start some internet war of words, but your response is exactly what is part of my frustration. As an AT&T employee did you even read what I wrote? Or were you giving me a pre-determined response, upping your post count?

It added no value and leads me to believe this is why I'm not getting help from AT&T
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y مضت

Not exactly sure what you are expecting. There is zero AT&T can do here. The phone isn't manufactured by AT&T and it cannot be exchanged or warrantied by AT&T.  Especially with Apple devices. They cover all warranty issues from day one.

Physical damage is physical damage. It must be taken up with Apple if you feel it is a problem with their design or phone. Otherwise you may file an insurance claim if you have insurance.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

I guess your response is again the exact reason for my frustration. The amount of time, effort and money I've put into this to ridiculous. If you have given me the answer so quickly on here, why does online chat, toll free numbers all refer me to a store or someplace that doesn't actually solve my problem.

I get the feelings it's the fastest to attempt to resolve instead of addressing my concerns. Why was I told to erase my phone to trouble shoot, if knowing full well that I needed to go to Apple? Why did I wait 20 minutes to chat, then an hour to chat with someone when ultimately he wasn't going to be able to help me.

Do any carriers do repair work anymore? I've not had issues that weren't solved via the phone.

What am I looking for? Not sure, maybe an acknowledgement, maybe more than a brush off? My relationship to Apple does not nearly have the weight of AT&T's relationship. What if I'm not the only customer experiencing this? I'm not just an Apple customer or just an AT&T customer. I'm both. And by an Apple employee dismissing me without doing any attempt to look into the issue cascades into my experience with AT&T, if this happens to a thousand customers in a thousand cities, we have no expectation of resolution if AT&T washes their hands of the problem.
Need help?
The new iPhone 14
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.