The new iPhone 15
mrfetzer's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 18th, 2016 1:56 PM

iphone 7 upgrade

If my phone is fully paid off, and I get a new one, do I have to turn the old device in?

What if I buy the new device from Apple instead of AT&T?

If I DO purchase the new device from ATT NEXT, it says I need to return the old device within 10 days, but the new phones don't ship until mid October, so what do I do in that instance?

Thanks for your thoughts

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

If your phone is fully paid off, you do not have to trade it in. It is yours. However, If your old phone qualifies for the free iPhone 7 trade-in, then trading it in is your best deal. You must buy the iPhone 7 on Next but you will get $650 credit. 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

If the phone is fully paid off, it is yours to keep, sell or trade in, but you will get more by selling than trading in.

Only if you have only paid to the upgrade installment do you need to trade the phone in for the next NEXT plan.

You only need to return your device within 10 days after receiving your new device.

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

8 years ago

My wife and I both have iphone 6 Plus.  I am probably going to do this upgrade and trade them in.  Heck I couldn't get $650 for them if I sold them.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You may not get $650 for them either. It is up to $650 depending in the model. AT&T changed the wording after the initial offering to say UP TO $650 in credits.

Usually you will get more selling outright than AT&T will give you in trade.

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

8 years ago

I just went back and looked at the website and is doesn't say "up to".  Not disagreeing that you may get screwed anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@kdfederer, can you show where it says "up to $650" for the iPhone 7 deal? Like @guitargain, I'm not seeing it. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

It does say up to $650 credit. THe question is what would I get for an Iphone 6 Plus in great condition 64GB. Without going through the process to trade in online anyone know the trade in credit amount?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@ibistony Where exactly does it say "up to $650"? Can you post the link where you are seeing tha? There are multiple offers, you aren't confusing the switch offer with the iPhone 7 offer, are you?

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

8 years ago

I know you can get screwed no matter what they tell you but I checked into this again today.  Here is what I did.  I called customer service this morning and asked the question about is there a possibility of getting less than $650 for the phone.  The customer service rep went through the whole spiel and I told her I most certainly understand how the deal works but was looking for a definite answer as to the fact that if my phone is in very good condition (which it is) is there a chance that they could deem it not worth $650 and give me less.  She stated that she couldn't answer that and I would need to go to a store so they could look at it and they could tell me.  I went to a store this afternoon and talked to rep there and asked the same questions.  Now I have an Iphone 6 plus that has been in an otterbox since I bought it.  I literally bought the otterbox in the same store as the phone and put it in the otterbox as soon as we took it out of the box.  I also have had a zagg invisishield glass screen protector on it for almost the same lenght of time.  The guy in the store took it out of the otterbox and said that there would be no problem getting the $650 for it.  I could come in the store and order the Iphone 7 plus, and have it shipped to my house and then bring the Iphone 6 plus into the store when I get the 7 and trade it in and it would be done.  Probably going to do it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I am worried that we are dealing with reps that have not completed the trade in process but word of mouth. Anyone completed this type of transaction and get the full amount.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.