Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
What is happening with 3G?
thebookthief01's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Dec 12, 2016 5:10 AM

iPhone 7 Upgrade Eligibility

I was thinking of paying in full for an iphone 7 at at&t, using my old prepaid plan on it, and waiting 6 months to unlock it. After I unlock my phone from at&t, can i get an upgrade to, say, a new iphone model for free, or do i still have to pay full price for that new iphone? or is it like a discount price to upgrade? For example, if i want to upgrade to an iphone 8, and its $700, do i have to pay $700 still? Do i have to be locked to at&t to upgrade?

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 y ago

To do that you would need to have AT&T Next to upgrade. How AT&T Next works is basicly you trade in your current phone which is the iPhone 7 which is worth $700. When you eligible to upgrade you have a budget of how much the phone is worth to spend or the bill will go up for the phone. Forgot to add that the phone must me in good condition . Also im not sure what you mean about locked to AT&T, Do you mean a carrier lock?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

yeah like does it have to be carrier lock to upgrade.

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

5 y ago

@thebookthief01 If you are going to pay full price and want an unlocked iPhone, why not buy it direct from Apple, already unlocked? They have financing available and a "new" iphone program where you can upgrade after making 12 (of 24) payments.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

5 y ago

@thebookthief01

No upgrade will be free, no matter how the previous phone is purchased, paid for or locked.  That is not how it works.  If you are a prepaid customer, you must pay in full for phones.  No other option.

If you are prepaid, you should not pay ATT for a phone.  Buy the SIM free version from Apple.    It is already unlocked for any carrier.  It would also be more valuable in a year if you want to trade in and upgrade.   Apple also has a purchase and upgrade program if you qualify to pay over time.  

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

5 y ago

The only thing* upgrades get you at AT&T these day is get you out of paying your last payments on you Next phone payment plan.  How many payments it gets you out of depends on the plan you have. Usually it's about 20-25% of the payments (unless you are on Next Every Year (then it's once you pay 50%).

* = other than super special offers.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.