For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
pollymweeks's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 24th, 2015 10:30 PM

iPhone 6 upgrade fee?

I am due for an upgrade on July 5 of this year and do the mobile share plan with 10gb and get that 15 dollar discount...

Now, I read that if I do the two year upgrade for the iphone 6 I will lose that 15 dollar discount.

I don't want to do the next plan because I would still be adding on to my bill.

So my question is if I payed for the iphone 6 up front at at&t without upgrading my contract, paying that full price of 749.99 (plust tax) will I still lose that discount of not?

Either way it would still be cheaper to pay that 749 upfront because 40*24months= 960 dollars.

And can I go into at&t and just tell them I want to buy the iphone 6 upfront without paying under contract? Or should I just order it online?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@pollymweeks

Thank you, thank you! Finally a fellow customer who gets it!

Of the three options, all end up costing about the same. Since you have a 10 GB plan (and get a $25 per month discount) you would pay $600 more for your line fees over 2 years it you went back on a contract, on top of the down payment. Next is a good option if your short on cash, but the bill does go up due to the installment payments.

The best option is paying retail for the unlocked and sim free version from Apple. This phone can be used on any carrier world wide. A huge benefit if you travel, all you do is swap out the sim card and use a prepaid sim in the other country.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

You will not lose discount if pay new phone at full price or Next. Next is pay for phone at full price spread out monthly payments. Probably can go to ATT Corperate Store, and pay full price.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks!!! I'll probably head over to at&t first to see if I can pay full price there, if not I'll go down to best buy. 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

You can buy direct from Apple. They have a no interest program for Apple purchases. And you can buy the unlocked version which will be worth more for resale.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@pollymweeks wrote:

Either way it would still be cheaper to pay that 749 upfront because 40*24months= 960 dollars.

As everyone else has already stated, if you purchase using NEXT, or if you purchase outright, you get to keep your discount.  If you purchase on a contract subsidy plan, then you lose your discount.

I jsut wanted to point out a minor flaw in your logic.  If you purchase the phone under contract, you would pay $299 up front, plus the $40 activation fee, then you would pay $15*24 more than what you are paying now, so you would really only be paying $299 (subsidized phone price) + $40 (activation fee) + $360 (service increase of $15 for all 24 months), not $40 * 24 months.  Do if I can still do the math, buying the phone on a 2 year contract would coust you roughly $699 out of pocket for the phone, and purchasing it outright will cost you $749.  You would still be paying the other $25/month for your service without the contract, so your increase only be the $15/month not the full $40/month.  In reality, if you plan on keepiong the phone for 2 years, then getting the contract subsidy would be a little cheaper for you, but only by about $50 over the 2 years (or about $2.08/month averaged over the 24 months). Also, depending upon your state, you may save teh sales tax on the $450 price of the phone which is subsidized by AT&T.  Some states charge you the sales tax on the full retail price, others charge you on the price you pay (since you will be "taxed" on your monthly bill).  This might save you another $30 if your sales tax is about 7% for buying under contract.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Sales tax where I live is 9.5% 😕

Thanks for the correction! I am just going to buy the phone out of pocket because I have the money now to do so, and rather not pay monthly, one less worry for me.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

If I traveled more than I would definitely purchace through apple and get an unlocked version. Thank you!!!! Cannot wait to get my new phone on Friday, have had this 8GB iPhone 4 for two years, it's time for  a change!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@pollymweeks wrote:

As everyone else has already stated, if you purchase using NEXT, or if you purchase outright, you get to keep your discount.  If you purchase on a contract subsidy plan, then you lose your discount.

I jsut wanted to point out a minor flaw in your logic.  If you purchase the phone under contract, you would pay $299 up front, plus the $40 activation fee, then you would pay $15*24 more than what you are paying now, so you would really only be paying $299 (subsidized phone price) + $40 (activation fee) + $360 (service increase of $15 for all 24 months), not $40 * 24 months.  Do if I can still do the math, buying the phone on a 2 year contract would coust you roughly $699 out of pocket for the phone, and purchasing it outright will cost you $749.  You would still be paying the other $25/month for your service without the contract, so your increase only be the $15/month not the full $40/month.  In reality, if you plan on keepiong the phone for 2 years, then getting the contract subsidy would be a little cheaper for you, but only by about $50 over the 2 years (or about $2.08/month averaged over the 24 months). Also, depending upon your state, you may save teh sales tax on the $450 price of the phone which is subsidized by AT&T.  Some states charge you the sales tax on the full retail price, others charge you on the price you pay (since you will be "taxed" on your monthly bill).  This might save you another $30 if your sales tax is about 7% for buying under contract.

One correction. The OP said they have a 10GB plan so they are getting a $25 discount, not $15. So the service increase for a subsidized phone is 24x$25=$600.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:
One correction. The OP said they have a 10GB plan so they are getting a $25 discount, not $15. So the service increase for a subsidized phone is 24x$25=$600.

I see that now.  They stated they had the 10GB plan, then in their math, the used the $15 discount from the "less than 10GB" data plan.    I was quoting their numbers, and not noticing their error of the discount.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

"If I traveled more than I would definitely purchace through apple and get an unlocked version. Thank you!!!! Cannot wait to get my new phone on Friday, have had this 8GB iPhone 4 for two years, it's time for a change!"

8 GBS! How did you last this long! I don't know why Apple still puts out a 16 GB version. 32 is my personal minimum.

Enjoy the new phone. 😉
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.