Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Dec 1, 2014 12:36 PM

IPHONE 6 MISSING CALLER ID

I upgraded about two weeks ago to the IPHONE 6 and am having trouble where many incomming calls are showing an Unknown number. I have asked AT&T to look at this and I am being told it is not an AT&T problem but the IPHONE 6 uses new technology that requires many the called ID information to be sent in in a new format.  Specifically I was told phone calls orginiating from Charter Communications and any small VOIP phone systems like MITEL will have these issues until those companies update the way they send in caller ID information. 

Has anyone else heard of these problems? Is AT&T correct and in order to use the new IPHONE 6 with caller ID all of the companies need to modify the way they transmit caller ID information? If this is true I would think more people would be complaining?

Brian

Responses

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

6 years ago

New issue to me too. However, it could be the network of AT&T didn't register you properly. I seen it before at T-Mobile, but never in AT&T. I won't be surprise if the same case apply here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I'm having the same issue since I switched from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6. let me know if you hear of a fix?
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

6 years ago

This is an iPhone 6 problem and is being discussed on Apple forums.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lesprit

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My wife's Iphone 6 had this problem and after hours on the phone with att and apple we took it to an apple repair shop and the tech said to call at&t customer car and have them "disable HD VoLTE on HLR". We did this, restarted iphone and everything works as it should.

lesprit

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Opps, STOP!!! my wife informed me that at&t customer care connected her with apple care and she was the one that said she had a fix for the problem. BUT NOW.... she has a problem connecting to the internet via wifi! It is so slow as to be useless. again, many hours on the phone with both att and apple care...no fix! And neither one has any idea what the person that corrected the problem of unknown caller did! No one has any record of the call.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

6 years ago

Has she tried a reset of network settings?
Forget and reconnect to wifi?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
iFrosty

Guru

• 

831 Messages

6 years ago

I have never experienced this issue whatsoever 

Can you explain how your contacts were transfered over?
Was it from iphone to iphone?
Android to iphone?
Windows to iphone?

james608

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

When I get a call from work, it shows as UNKNOWN on my phone. I have all of the work phone numbers saved in my contacts. When my coworkers get the same call, their phones show the phone number. The work number is a land line going through a switch (many internal numbers that are displayed or appear to come from one main number).

I have iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, on AT&T

They have iPhone 4S, iOS 7.?, on Verizon

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

A little different for me. I purchased 6+ and have friends who have me listed in their contacts but are recieving my call as "unknown" or "No caller ID". I have the "Show my Caller ID" green/on.

Can anyone suggest how to get my name number back on my calls to people versus being Unknown??

Thanks

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 years ago

Hey @james608

I’d be happy to help with this Caller ID issue! This appears to be related to voice over LTE causing caller ID issues. It appears a number of US carriers have noticed the very same issue with iPhone 6 devices. Can you please head to Settings>Cellular and tap Enable LTE. Choose Data only. If this does not solve the issue, try disabling LTE completely and test again.

This is certainly an issue we, along with other carriers, are working to resolve.

Thanks!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
james608

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Charise,

That wasn't it. I made the change and called my phone. Still "UNKNOWN". 

James

tleger

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am having the same problem.  Bought an iphone 6 at the end of December as an upgrade, from Apple store in Baton Rouge.  All else great - but when I get a call from my company phone system (50 or so lines but ALL programmed to reflect the general office number when you call out from an extension), nothing I do will allow the number to come up properly in my phone anymore.  ALL it says is UNKNOWN for caller.  Very annoying.  I tested this to my majicjack at home - and the landline uniden phone registered 'incomplete data' in the caller ID screen.  The MagicJack app DID however pick up the actual phone number that was calling my number - when my physical phone tied to the Magicjack could not figure it out.  I hope this problem is eventually repaired.  I don't really care about the home number/magicjack, but the company phone coming up unknows is certainly annoying.

I tried the thing that works for Verizon customers - turning off the voLTE, but this did NOT fix the problem...and I wouldn't want to leave that off anyway - since that's how your phone is designed to do it's best voice + data job.

Please let us know if there is a solution.

Hoping the BRANIACS and ENGINEERS can figure this out soon!  Love my iphone 6 otherwise!

Troy

tleger

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi folks -

I'm asking when there may be a fix for the iphone 6 issue where the phone shows UNKNOWN when someone calls.  It does not  happen for any caller, except my company phone.  Admittedly it's older technology - but all worked fine on the iphone 5, and actually STILL works fine.  Our iphone 6 users however - are ALL showing UNKNOWN when they or their family gets calls from our office exchange, which is a Toshiba system, service provider Cox Communications.

From what I've read - this appears to be something to do with the new voLTE technology?  Is that right?

Love the iphone 6 otherwise!

Thanks

Troy

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 years ago

Hi! @tleger  Thanks for posting your Caller ID concerns. This is indeed a known issue with the voLTE technology and we are working to correct this long term. In the meantime we do have an option that will allow us to remove the voLTE service on the lines as a short term fix on this. We would require that each account holder contact us to make any changes. We can be reached at 1-800-331-0500.

If this helps, please mark this answer as an accepted solution!

Thanks,

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

To confirm, this fixed my issue.Turning off VoLTE in ATT network did the trick immediately.

Turning off LTE alone on iPhone did not fix it.  

Issue: Calls forwarded from Avaya PBX via EC500 feature came up as Unknown on iPhone 6, and also calls could not be answered.

Get started...

Ask a new question