Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
Sprint201402's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tue, Jun 23, 2015 11:42 AM

iphone 5s personal hotspot connects for just a few seconds then data stops and I get a dns error.

iphone 5s personal hotspot connects for just a few seconds then data stops and I get a dns error. This is very annoying ATT. I have to keep reconnecting and some days it will finally just stay connected for hours and other days will just keep dropping out and saying dns error. This is all happening at a desk in the exact same location. I am paying for this I expect it to work!

Responses

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 y ago

I get a connection and about .20 Mb data and then it just stalls out and google chrome give these errors:  

This webpage is not available

ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

So I get 3 different errors if I keep refreshing the google homepage all the while windows 8.1 shows a connection to the iphone and the iphone shows a personal hotspot connection to windows the whole time.

The 3  freedompop  photons I have are much more reliable than this ATT iphone is at keeping a connection.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 y ago

Started working barely a few minutes ago when I did another try. Here is a speed test done on their own site:

• Download Speed HELP 0.56 Mbps (70.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed HELP 0.65 Mbps (81.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency HELP 33 ms
  • Jitter HELP 23 ms

I believe the whole problem is on ATT's end. 

Here is another test

Your Test Results (Tested on 6/24/2015, 1:05:21 PM)

• Download Speed HELP 0.48 Mbps (59.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed HELP 0.84 Mbps (105 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency HELP 43 ms
  • Jitter HELP 38 ms

Seems rare for upload to out perform download.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 y ago

Ok, I think my problem is due to a weak signal. I noticed if I do a speedtest on my phone it gets faster as I move to an outside wall. Still don't understand why some days it only last for a few seconds and drops out while other days it will stay connected for hours. May be weather dependent?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 y ago

Ok new update. Moved iphone closer to window and have alot better speed. Worked good for 1 day had speed of 10 mb on laptop. Next day started acting just like the problem I originally had on the laptop but running speed tests on the iphone itself shows 8 mb which should be more than enough for the laptop. The laptop however only shows about .10 mb before it just completely stops like original issue. I no longer think the reception is the issue. Clearly 8 mb at the iphone should be plenty to share with the laptop and keep the connection going.

Get started...

Ask a new question