For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
I

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 19th, 2020 4:23 AM

iPhone 12 Pro Max with 4G

My iPhone 11 Pro Max had a way to force 4G in the Cellular setting and 4G signal was always strong and stable than LTE in my neighborhood. However, my new iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn't even have 4G in the setting. I can force LTE but 4G. Both LTE and 5G signals are spotty and weak and they are not usable in my neighborhood.

Is there a way to force 4G somehow???

I can still see 4G only when I am in my house with MicroCell...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

3 years ago

No, the only choices on the 12 are 5G or LTE.  You can’t force 4G any more.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 years ago

@iamhiro My iPhone 12 lists both. Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Voice & Data LTE -> LTE or 4G options are listed (I don't have a 5G plan nor do I want one).

As far as the MicroCell goes, they are, and have always been 3G only. The iPhone interprets the MicroCell's 3G signal as 4G and displays 4G but it is really only 3G. Keep in mind that the MicroCell service will be discontinued no later than Feb. 2022, probably sooner, once AT&T repurposes its 3G network. You should be using WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) anyway.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot  what settings you see likely depends on whether you have a 5G plan or not.  I do, and my setting options are 5G On, 5G Auto, or LTE.  No 4G option.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Did you get help?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

2 years ago

@Frustrated12345  Did who get help?  The OP, who was last seen here 18 months ago?

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Replying to originator of thread, I thought. Apologies

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Frustrated12345 The answers from a year ago no longer apply. When you see 4G on an iPhone, that is (or was) the 3G network which has now been shutdown. Bottom line, there is no way to force 4G on an iPhone.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

My 4G is 4G. New phone. Before update a week ago worked fine.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

My 4G is 4G. New phone. Before update a week ago worked fine.

Then you don’t have an iPhone, so not sure why you even posted on this thread. Suggest you start your own thread.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Yes iphone. Finally got a tech that knew what they were doing. New update and back able to toggle. Finally!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.