The new iPhone 15
T

• 

3 Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2020 10:05 PM

iphone 12 5G or 5GE displayed?

Got new iphone 12 pro today, got it all setup and it displays 5ge.  My question is it on the TRUE 5G network or the "5ge" network?  What does your iphone 12 display when on network?  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

3 years ago

You may be in an area where 5G is available as shown on a map, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you get real 5G all of the time, depending where you actually are.  For some (real) 5G frequencies, you need to be in line of sight of a tower, and close to it.  If the real 5G signal can’t make it to your phone from the tower, it will drop back to LTE, or enhanced LTE, what AT&T calls 5Ge.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 years ago

My understanding is that 5Ge is basically what AT&T is calling their enhanced LTE network. If you were on a 5G network it would say 5G unless there is some provisioning AT&T needs to do on their end for your phone. Do you know for a fact that you are in an area that has 5G?

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Per their 5G map I am in a 5G zone (not 5ge).  Mine says 5ge

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hmmm. Sounds like you need to call AT&T then or take a visit to a corporate store. I don't have an iPhone 12 (only an 8 Plus) so 5G is not available to me. I don't imagine there is a setting somewhere under Phone for 5G like there is for WiFi-C?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

5Ge is enhanced LTE, not 5G. Do you have a 5G plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.