The new iPhone 15
F

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 3rd, 2020 12:41 PM

iPad unlocked put being held Hostage

I purchased this iPad for my moms 85 birthday. When I went to configure it for cellular, it says Managed by AT&T.  I ran the IMEI number thru the AT&T data base and it said that it was Unlocked.  But now I find out it is being held Hostage.  How to I get rid of this Hostage issue????

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

Huh? 

What are you talking about? 

Unlocked means you can take a SIM card from another carrier and insert it inside the iPad and use the iPad with any carrier.

If you are trying to use the embedded SIM card, you have to contact AT&T for Carrier visibility

• 

2 Messages

Well this is what has happened.  I got a sim card form another carrier and it can see it, but it still says the account is an AT&T one.  You can go to the AT&T web site and run the IMEI number thru and AT&T says it is unlocked.  So I started to research what might be going on.  The new carrier told me to contact AT&T, which I did and they told me to go to one of there stores, which I did.  The store told me they haven't got a glue and I need to call AT&T back, in which they told me they don't have a clue on how to get rid of this being Hostaged.  If you do some research, you can find out about this being taken Hostage, but I can not find out how to get free from it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

what Carrier are you using? Have they tried the Sim card in another tablet to see if it works?   
If it doesn’t, it’s the SIM card.  
iPads are not locked, they never have been 
unless the iPad has been blacklisted, there is absolutely no reason it would not work with another carriers SIM card.

The only other reason is you bought an early version which was only made for gsm carriers.  Seems unlikely as it would be 10+ years old

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.