The new iPhone 15
ryanwill's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 10:08 PM

IP Address in Different City than I live in

I have an Apple Iphone 6+.  For some reason my IP address is showing Dallas, TX but I live in Denver, CO.  When I perform Google searches for locations of businesses, the locations that pop up are always in the Dallas area - not Denver.  Is there a way to change my IP address to Denver?  What would cause this?  FYI - I used to live in Dallas and bought my first phone there but have lived in Denver for 2 years and my new phone was purchased in Denver.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @ryanwill

I’d be happy to help with the location displayed in relation to your IP address!

It seems Dallas TX is being displayed by default, as that is the location of the AT&T HQ. Is this something which used to display with Denver but has just recently switched to Dallas? Also, is it Google alone which is displaying this location?

Thanks,

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have a cell phone purchased her in nj and google shows and IP address in Washington DC and when I do an ip search through an ip app it shows Herndon Virginia! Why would this happen??

Guru

• 

382 Messages

6 years ago

It's because the way the network equipment on the ATT end is set up.  Unless you're a business customer, there's not much you can do about it.

I've in Alabama but Google and other websites say I'm in Houston, TX.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Your IP address will show based on your internet connection origin.  For example when connected to Home Wifi it will show the nearest address for your internet provider.  I constantly show Rhode Island despite living in CT.  

If you have given your browser permission to use your location, it should locate you by GPS not IP.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I recently added Att Internet services to my house
I Live in San Diego California all my apps on my smarts tv sets
and my computers are showing that i am in CT.
which i am NOT i have contacted Att
but have done nothing to fix these serious  problem
I wonder if i can get any help here
so perhaps i could tweek the services,
Otherwise i am going to have to go back to COX cable services .

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Att doesnt gives a rat about your issues
I am having the same issue i live in Sd California and my apps shows that i am in CT i did notify ATT about these issue and it has been almost 7 months and nothing has been done to fix the problem
Because of that i am going to dump ATT and move to a previous competitor
I never had issues with Ip addresses with COX.
I already cancel my AutoWIFI because it was sloppy with connections.

So there you have it .

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.