Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
andyjhunter

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I figured it out! It is not our phone.....it is thiers! Either switch off your iMessage and MMS options under settings or have the person you are trying message turn thiers on. They are likely over 50 and need your help with this function.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

THIS IS NOT SOLVED!!!   Hey, AT&T, this situation comes up in Google searches as far back as 2008. I think eight years is long enough to resolve this. The suggested fixes include deleting the problem text message, something about a "Call log" (I hav eno calls to/from the number) resetting network setting on my iPhone, and many others. Most of these solutions include the recommendation that you need to delete the contact. In my case, the problem number is not in my contacts - anywhere. It's a random phone number that was added to a group text. I can see and receive all inbound text messages from everyone in the group. 12 other people are able to see them and reply with no issues. Why am I the only one who cannot reply, and instead get the "10 digit number" error?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Had exactly the same problem... same error code and message... same inability to fix it after trying everything suggested here and elsewhere. Only then did I discover that the phone number listed as "mobile" was a landline. Entirely my fault when first creating the contact. What tripped me up was receiving exactly the same error message everyone else is getting. If it had said something more helpful, such as, "The number you are attempting to text is a landline," I'd have a couple days of my life back. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else was making the same mistake, embarassing as it is to admit it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

This intermittent and extremely frustrating glitch has been, and continues, to happen. How can a pervasive, glaring problem like this continue for nearly a decade AT&T?!? How foolish you look regurgitating the same tired useless "fix" year after year, always ending with a "let us know if that helped" empty gesture. Yet when you are repeatedly told that this doesn't fix the issue, what is the response? Nothing. Utter silence. I have looked at thread after thead and not one employee has addressed the feedback that this does NOT work! Shame on you AT$T for sand bagging, for burying your head, for intentionally ignoring your customers, for being too arrogant to admit there is a problem that no one in your company can figure out, for lying to your customers that the problem has been resolved, and for being so cold and thoughtless that apologizing for your incompetency and the angst it has caused is clearly beneath you. I am truly embarrassed to be a customer of yours. All greed, no heart. Pitiful customer service. Your company does not deserve the loyal cuatomers you have, nor the wealth garnered from overcharging for inferior and flawed service. Know this- a fair and objective assessment would be that you have failed. Please try harder. Your customers, and ultimately, your jobs depend on it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

They are too arrogant to admit they can't, or simply won't, fix the problem. It's not that we aren't being heard, it's that we are intentionally being ignored. AT$T is the worst. Too big to care. Shameful!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

amazing work-around! sorry if someone has already posted this. Neither AT&T nor Apple seems to claim responsibility. I just filed a *case* with AT&T -- maybe the volume of complaints will make somebody take notice. In the meantime, the tech woman told me to substitute the last digit with the corresponding letter on the phone. So 206-555-1212 would be 206-555-121a. Bingo! It works. A lot easier than deleting and re-adding contact. Meanwhile, AT&T and Apple, would somebody please FIX this?!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

This does work. However, I cannot reply directly to a text from a problem number. I have to create a new message with the modified number. Inconvenient!  At&T needs to fix the problem. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I totally agree with that! I was just thrilled to have a work-around.
And the person who gave that to me had already put in a "case" for me.
Perhaps if they get enough complaints, they -- or Apple -- will have to
DO something about it.
cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I've had this problem with AT&T for over
5 years. Apple blames them.. they blame apple.
I'm going back to verizon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

This has not worked worked for my Android phone. Please help! I have a LG phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have a iPhone 7+ and have tried everything I've read in this forum and it still is not fixed. It's only with 1 contact. Can anyone help??

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T says it's Apple's fault, and Apple blames AT&T.
I suggest that you put in *tickets* with both -- if they hear from
enough of us, they may finally pay attention.
And I think that you will find the problem with other NEW contacts, as
they come up. That's what I experience.

Good luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

it solved the problem with my iPhone 4s.  Thank You. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thank You Charise.  It work out with my iPhone 4s. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

My wife’s phone was experiencing this same issue. After many different attempts of deleteting the effected contact information from local and iCloud contacts and message history. The key thing seemed to be to delete all “hidden” group text messages of this one contact. Clearly some but with the new requirements needing to use 10 digit phone numbers even for contacts in the same area code as your own.

1. Delete the contact from your local device contact.

2. Delete any failed or preexisting text messages. On iPhone search for that number in texts and click the “i” to reveal that contact that may be hidden or otherwise embedded in group texting. Delete all of those.

3. We did a forced reboot of the iPhone. And WahLa! It now works as expected. 

Get started...

Ask a new question