Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
andyjhunter

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

When will this be fixed?  It's been several months since I switched to AT&T and I have had this issue. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Here what worked for me:

1. delete the contact

2. delete all SMS texts that reference the contact, including the error messages

3. re-enter the contact as +011 and the country code and phone number (don't worry about the helpful spaces

4. open the Contact and Send Message (don't try this from Messages, do it from Contacts)

5. wait for a response

I believe this works because the iPhone is caching the number in Messages, so once ATT prepends the 1555 to it, that number replaces the correct number.

After doing this, I could even see the previous incoming texts under the correct contact

... Andy in Santa Cruz

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

To all,

I had this invalid number problem for weeks to one specific number. I tried all the suggestions on here except contacting Apple and nothing worked. Today I called AT&T customer service and after trying many things, the woman suggested creating a new contact and putting an "a" in place of the 2 in the last four digits of the number. That is, 1a00 instead of 1200, and amazingly, it worked. So now I have one contact number with an "a" in it.

In order to get a letter into the number field, I typed it in the name field and then copied and pasted it into the number field.

All I can figure is the network must go through a different process when the number has a letter in it. If you look at the keypad you will see a 2 can be represented an a, b or c.

So just pick one of the digits in your problem number and use a letter off of the keypad and see if it works.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Don

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Substituting a letter for a number is the only thing that worked for me and I tried everything. Thanks for posting!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I was getting this error message about needing a valid 10 digit number.  For no reason at all. I kept receivng this message like every 5 minutes.  I was able to fix this: The messaging app I have on my Galaxy S6 gave me an option to indicate this 21161111 number as Spam.  I did this, and now I no longer receive the message.  I am still able to send texts just fine.

I hope this helps somebody.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

this problem just started with my Iphone 5s......for only 1 number that worked fine in SEpt ... now I get an error message asking for 10 digits....which Is in the contact info....how disappointing to look for an answer and find it has been going on since lastbApril nigh on a year and AT&T users still have the same problem. wOW!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Replacing a number with a letter actually works!!!!!!!

I replaced a 2 with an "a" and it went through.  But when the person responds it doesn't go to that thread, so I have to switch back and forth when responding.

luckily just a co-worker, so I don't text them that often!  Thanks for the advice!

I'VE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR 3+ YEARS!   FORUMS ARE BEATING YOUR TECH SUPPORT!

DURRRR!

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

DON'T EVEN TRY THE OTHER AT&T TELLS YOU!  IT DOESN'T WORK!   JUST REPLACE A NUMBER WITH A LETTER CORROSPONDING.

EX.  2=A

3=D

4=G

5=J

6=M

7=P

8=T

9=W

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

UPDATE!

You can't send pics though.....LAME!

Oh well, better than nothing.  Just gotta use Snap Chat or email of I want to send pics.

AT&T & APPLE, Seriously.  This wouldn't stand if Stevie J was still running the show...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I had the same issue followed the insructions and still had the issue found i still had a contact that was under first name that did not have all 10 digits, once I corrected the number that crrected the issue

MAllow

Scholar

• 

184 Messages

5 years ago

My G3 will not accept grouped messages and when they do come thru, they are split into individual replies. Sometimes they are not even downloaded and I receive an error telling me to redownload the message because it was not received.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This solution works.  Kind of old school, awesome.  Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having the same problem with more than one number. I also get a message telling me my balance I $4.75, which is strange because I have unlimited texting and auto pay monthly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

So this issue seems to have come back on iOS 10 lol

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

This problem is still occurring on iOS 10.0.1 it just happened on my 6s 🙄

Get started...

Ask a new question