For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
user321847's profile

• 

1 Message

Sunday, May 29th, 2022 1:17 PM

If I buy a used iphone that was already used with atnt, do I have to pay for activation

I have a SIM card of an iPhone 7 that is paired to my parent's plan. They got the phone basically for free, so they pay for the phone every month and then they get the account credit for that payment right back making the phone essentially free as long as they hold onto it. Im looking for a new phone because the 7 is getting slow. If I buy a used (paid off) iPhone that was already used with ATNT, will I have to pay for the activation fee, or can I just swap the sim from the 7 to the new xr and everything would work...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

You can just move the SIM card. You will not be charged an activation fee or upgrade fee.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

The only time you pay for Activation is when you're adding a new line of service which comes with a new SIM card whether it's a physical Sim or a esim. Or you are upgrading phone by purchasing a new phone that comes with a new AT&T SIM card.

Since you are doing neither of these, you are just moving your existing SIM card from an older phone to a newer phone there is no charge.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.