The new iPhone 15
T

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 26th, 2020 7:56 PM

I have asurion verizon phone insurance, can i give the replacement phone to someone else?

My daughters phone was stolen and she does not have a contract phone carrier. she uses metro, and i have verizon. i am wondering if i file a claim to get a replacement phone, would i be able to use that phone to use a metro pcs carrier? or only verizon? is the phone unlocked?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Why would you ask that here? Verizon phones are normally unlocked but I have no idea if that applies to insurance replacement phones. How would you be able to file a claim anyway? Your insurance doesn’t cover her phone.

• 

2 Messages

i dont know i saw a question about ausrion so i thought id just give it a shot idk who else to ask. thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

If you would file an insurance claim on your phone to get a phone for your daughter, your current phone would be blacklisted and unusable.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

so you are going to do insurance fraud lol

Employee

• 

797 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Verizon typically issues unlocked phones, so compatibility wouldn't be an issue. The issue would be that YOUR Verizon device is covered, so they would send a phone, but expect your phone mailed back. So that's not really a solution. Best bet is to add her to your plan and get a deal on a new phone there, or go buy a new Metro PCS one.

P.s. this is an AT&T customer forum...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

Aside from the obvious problem that they will Blacklist the phone that has a claim placed against it , you are not actually saving money.
Insurance has a deductible. If you think you get a free phone by placing an insurance claim, that is not the case .

Depending on the phone that the claim is being placed on the deductible can be as high as $300.
With that in mind, figure $300 is your budget and just purchase a new phone for her for Metro.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.