For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 9:08 PM

Closed

How to unlock an Iphone

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and the Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@eyezayuh wrote:

I upgraded on 11/28/2014 and submitted an Unlock Code Request for my iPhone 5S that I upgraded from. I keep getting an email saying that I have to wait 14 days since my upgrade to be able to retreive the unlock code. Its been more than 14 days since I upgraded my phone!! 

Iphones do not have an "unlock code". Once you are approved for the unlock, you complete the process by connecting to iTunes and completing a backup/restore. What exactly does the email say? Were you approved? Perhaps you just need to re-submit your request

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Madville wrote:

Hi i got my iphone5 2 years ago and i lost my at&t sim now i cant activate my iphone5 can you unlock it for me?

IMEI:[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

If you are activating it on AT&T, it does not need to be unlocked. If you want to use it on another provider, you must go through the unlock portal. No one here can authorize an unlock.

AT&T unlock portal

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I did an upgrade to the Iphone 6 and tried to unlock my old iphone 5 so that I could use it when I travel outside the USA, but I couldn't because they say I did a device upgrade. I would like to know how can I unlock it so that I can use it when I travel with other countries sim cards.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

If you did your device upgrade within the last 14 days before you requested the unlock, that would be the reason for the rejection. One of the clauses in the upgrade qualifications indicates that if you perform an early upgrade, that you can't unlock for 14 days (until your "buyer's remorse" period has expired on the new phone). The people who created the unlock system implemented that for all upgrades, not just early upgrades. Just wait 2 weeks and send the request again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the information, but I did the upgrade almost 3 months ago so that's why I don't understand the 14 days of waiting before trying again. I hope there's something I can do to fix this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

Edited...
How are you trying to unlock? What message or information is coming back?
Is it possible you account is not showing the old phones as being paid off/out of contract? This might be a problem in the account/billing department.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

The iphone 5 was on contract, the after the early upgrade the iphone 6 was the one with the contract.

Sent from my iPhone

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

I wonder if the early upgrade and phone switch was done correctly. If the IMEI Number wasn't switched correctly or the old phones not removed properly, they may still be showing as under contract. It may require taking all phones to AT&T store to sort out. I would try the phone first, with the store where you upgraded (assuming it was an AT&T store NOT an authorized seller )

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I tried to unlock my i phone 4 and got a response that my request could not be completed because

• We cannot find a valid current or former mobile number associated with this device.
  • This device is not associated with a current or former AT&T account.

How can the phone be locked to AT&T but the phone has never been associated with an AT&T phone number or account? This doesnt make any sense to me.

Can anybody help?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

If it is already unlocked it wouldnt show.

It is best to purchase a phone that is compatible with the network you intend to use.

Follow advice above on restoring the phone to unlock.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.