Community Manager

• 

9.5K Messages

Tue, Dec 9, 2014 9:08 PM

How to unlock an Iphone

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and the Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.5K Messages

6 years ago

Your device is designed to work on the AT&T wireless network, and may require a device unlock to operate on another compatible wireless network.

AT&T can send you unlock instructions upon request, provided that we can reasonably obtain them from the manufacturer and that you meet the requirements below. You should receive a response within two business days.

How To Request A Device Unlock

1. Go to the Device Unlock Portal (page best viewed from a desktop or tablet).
  2. Follow the prompt listed. 

Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device Here.

Note: AT&T cannot unlock devices from other wireless carriers.

To check status of your request

1. Go to our Status Portal.
  2.  Enter your IMEI Number & Request Number.
  3. Follow the prompts.

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests

• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support)
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
  • All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
  • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
  • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

Postpaid Customers

• Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.

Prepaid / GoPhone®

• The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

Non-AT&T Mobility Customers

• You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

Deployed Military Personnel (Current AT&T Customers Only)

• Current AT&T customers who are active and deployed military personnel, and have provided deployment verification, need to meet all the General Requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
  • AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.

Important:

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Official Solution

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

6 years ago

to unlock the iphone, you need to backup and restore the phone using iTunes. That will complete the unlock. That is the only way to unlock an iPhone.

It is best to backup the phone and completely wipe the phone and then backup and restore as a new phone. You should get the unlock message.

Then you can restore the phone from any backup (either iTunes or Cloud).

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Official Solution

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

It seems you purchased a locked phone from someone and the phone is locked to the AT&T system. Here is a rather long thread concerning unlocking an AT&T phone and a link to the unlock policy...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/iPhone-Unlocking-Questions-and-Discussion/m-p/4169856#M229094

Note the section entitled Unlock my phone: I am not an AT&T customer in this link...

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820

Your best bet would probably be to return the phone for refund and purchase a phone in your local area that is capable of using your local phone systems.

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.3K Messages

5 years ago

Presuming you meet the requirements for unlocking, you are the one that should put in the unlock request and complete the unlock process with your sim after you receive approval. The unlock needs to be complete before your friend puts her sim in.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Official Solution

davidbk

Administrator

• 

379 Messages

5 years ago

Official Solution

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

4 years ago

It may be that the phone is reported lost or stolen. If that is the case, the phone will not be unlocked.

Since the phone is not usable, file a claim with eBay.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.3K Messages

4 years ago

Once unlocked, it stays unlocked. 

Official Solution

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@yami2003 Unlock it as a non-customer.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.3K Messages

4 years ago

You can read the requirements on the unlock portal: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Official Solution

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Steventyler23 wrote:
I got approved to unlock my iPhone to other carriers and yet att has not sent me my unlock code to my email please help

You don't need a code for iPhones.

My iPhone unlock email said:

UNLOCK CODE: No Unlock Code Needed

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked. Please follow the unlock instructions below to unlock your device. Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

• Using a Non-AT&T SIM Card: 1) Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card. 2) Complete the setup process.

OR

• Using an AT&T SIM Card 1) Back up your iPhone. 2) When you have a backup, erase your iPhone. 3) Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visit att.com

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Care Team

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Official Solution

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

4 years ago

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.3K Messages

3 years ago

The local sim will work once you get your iPhone unlocked: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/. Read the requirements, it won’t be unlocked if you are still paying for it.

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.3K Messages

3 years ago

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ But if you bought a prepaid phone, you might as well return it. It won’t be unlocked until it is used for 6 months on ATT.

Official Solution

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

Walmart does not sell unlocked phones.  That phone is required to be activated in the usa.  Apple knows that phone was sold thru the us flex retailer program.

Official Solution

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

@tol7myky wrote:

Part Description: iPhone 7
Next Tether Policy ID: 23
Next Tether Activation Policy Description: US AT&T Activation Policy

Product Sold By: AT&T MOBILITY LLC
Coverage Status: Apple Limited Warranty
Coverage End Date: 09/08/18
Estimated Purchase Date: 09/09/17
Purchased In: United States

The phone would have to be activated on ATT first since it was never sold...  APPLE knows this....  The phone has to be activated BEFORE it can be unlocked.  ATT does not have the IMEI in the database since the phone was never scanned as sold.  Its a warranty replacement...  If you sent in a unlocked phone apple should have gave you a unlocked phone back.

Get started...

Ask a new question