Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
W

• 

4 Messages

Sun, Oct 4, 2020 4:46 PM

How to resolve? "We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid service"

Bought the phone on eBay. It is in pristine condition. The seller says it was a buyer's remorse return. Who knows? Checked the IMEI, and it appears to be clean on the services I've checked with. According to the serial number info this SE was made in 2017. So it has been sitting around somewhere for a while.

So what's the cheapest and easiest way to resolve this? Do I have to pay for the whole six months? Can I get the cheapest plan possible?

Because I would like to get it unlocked and switched to my legacy pay-as-you-go plan from T-Mobile that costs me maybe a 100$ a year. If I'm not sitting at a computer I don't like to be tethered to another device. So I turn off data. My old phone is an A1387, and T-Mobile is dropping 3G in the new year. Bummer. Because it's the perfect size.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.7K Messages

2年前

You apparently bought an SE originally sold as prepaid. The only way to unlock is to complete the 6 months of use on prepaid. No, you can’t just pay for 6 months, you must complete the 6 months of paid usage but yes, you can get the cheapest prepaid plan.

• 

4 Messages

2年前

That's what I figured.

What is the cheapest plan? Navigating phone company websites isn't always fun. Does ATT have a pay as you go plan?

Ideally it would be great to receive credit for whatever the original owner spent on the original plan. Maybe someone from customer service can chime in on how to go about that the easiest way.

(edited)

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.7K Messages

2年前

This is mostly a customer forum and official AT&T presence is pretty minimal.  In any case, even if they do answer, they aren’t going to tell you anything about anyone else’s account, including how many months are left, or let you just sign up for the remaining months.  You’ll have to do the entire 6 months on your own.

• 

4 Messages

2年前

Thanks.

Guess I'll have to phone the phone company then.

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.6K Messages

2年前

It doesn't matter how much the previous owner used it, it has to be used 6 CONTINUOUS months on prepaid before it can be unlocked.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

2年前

AT&T does have a pay as you go plan which is $2 per day or $0.25 per minutes and text. In order to sign up with a smartphone you will have to initially select a plan with data, then you can switch to the per day or per minute Plan before you have to pay for service.

I don't know what you were told by an AT&T employee, but there is a great deal of misinformation provided by employees, that does not match what AT&T terms of service say, and what the phone will be held to. 

(edited)

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.7K Messages

2年前

TTAstinks, you claimed that they didn’t have a number to call them.  Clearly they do, and you know about it.  The fact that it’s inconvenient/ expensive for you to call them doesn’t change the fact that they DO have a number for international customer service.

BTW, it’s not a 6-month-removed-from-service requirement. It’s a minimum of 6 months of active, continuous service.  Once that’s done, it doesn’t matter how long you did or didn’t have service after that.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

2年前

@TTAstinks

Just because you did not like the correct information that @dwill05  posted is no reason to get rude. 

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.7K Messages

2年前

Then perhaps you can expand on your comment:

“You present as knowledgable, so I ask, is the 6-month-removed-from-service-with-ATT iron clad?  I am waaaay past 6 months.  TIA”

You asked for an answer.  What 6 months are you speaking of?  The only thing related to 6 months that I’m aware of is a 6 month requirement for active continuous service for unlocking a phone used on prepaid.

BTW, I’m retired, so I can do this all day too.  Bottom line, right or wrong, if you want to unlock a phone, you have to use the online unlocking portal.  If that doesn’t work, then you have to contact them directly to try and work it out.  If that’s inconvenient for you, then that’s your choice and you’re left with a phone that’s WiFi only.  Complaining about it isn’t going to change the basic facts, nor will it get AT&T to change anything.

Adios!

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.